Anschutz or Freeland Rail Dilemma Solved

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardCharger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently decided to upgrade the stock on my Savage model 12 heavy barrel rifle. I went with the Choate Sniper and it has helped the accuracy some, but then, it is a very accurate rifle anyway.

The dilemma I had was trying to get a picatinny rail on the bottom using the existing t-rail. I found an AFAR kit that could be used, but it would completely negate the use of the thumb screw sliding rail that it came with. Now thesliding rail has a sling swivel/bipod stud on it, but I want to put an Atlas bipod instead of a Harris on this rifle.

I purchased a Weaver stud to picatinny adapter to see if this would solve my problem. It did not fulfill my need right out of the box, but it did work with a little tweaking.

The way it works is, you remove two screws that are flush mounted to the top of the rail. This reveals a piece that you slide over the stud, place a metal pin through one side then through the stud hole until it is flush with both sides. You then put the picatinny rail over this and tighten it until it is solid.

The problem was that this adapter was designed to use the stock around the stud to apply the needed pressure to tighten and hold this in place. This will not work on this rail since the diameter of the picatinny rail sides exceeds that of the Anschutz rail. This means the rail is there but loose and pretty mush uselessly flipping around on the stud. The only place to apply pressure would to be from the rail itself.

I decided to use black cage nuts (think IT equipment) to match it since it was just the right size to sit one at either end under the rail. This basically raised the purchase surface of the sliding rail to engage with the picatinny rail, making it rock solid.

Ok, sorry for the huge post, but I am sure someone out here has had the problem before and maybe got it figured out already, but I have searched the entire web for a solution and came up empty handed.

Sorry the PICS suck, but so does the camera, if that clears it up.

Let me know if you have questions.

i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x476_smckevin_Anschutz_20Rail_20to_20Picatinny_adapterpicture.jpg

i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x476_smckevin_Anschutz_20Rail_20to_20Picatinny_01_19_12_1707.jpg

i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x476_smckevin_Anschutz_20Rail_20to_20Picatinny_01_19_12_1706.jpg

i1183.photobucket.com_albums_x476_smckevin_Anschutz_20Rail_20to_20Picatinny_01_19_12_1705.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom