Any cabinet makers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do a fair bit of woodworking, and Dakota is my go-to for hardwood lumber. Haven’t gotten any plywood from them, but I stick with real 5’ x 5’ Baltic birch plywood from M&M Lumber for that purpose. Very pricey, but worth it compared to the usual cabinet-grade plywood that’s available. Especially if the boxes of drawers will be exposed when open.
Stop by Fish Brothers sometime, they aren't far from M+M, great guys, mostly lumber, some ply, great folks.

BB has always been my goto for drawers, I don't use it for case work though.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I do a fair bit of woodworking, and Dakota is my go-to for hardwood lumber. Haven’t gotten any plywood from them, but I stick with real 5’ x 5’ Baltic birch plywood from M&M Lumber for that purpose. Very pricey, but worth it compared to the usual cabinet-grade plywood that’s available. Especially if the boxes of drawers will be exposed when open.
What's the cost for the 5x5?

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pardon the diversion.

Anyone got recommendations for a furniture maker that would cater to some custom demands?

I need something similar to these I lifted from the web. But no veneer. Dovetail joints, display drawers, possibly even a roll-top or pocket-door application for privacy when desired.

I see websites that cater to entire gunrooms but hadn’t tried any of those and would much prefer local.
There is a guy that posts a bit on the Tulsa Woodworkers FB group. He does high end work, Twin Cedars Woodworks.

Not sure you understand what "no veneer" means for a project like this cost wise? It is very typical that the cases would be made out of ply of sorts, face frames, doors, drawer fronts out of solid or solid components.

0bserver

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There is a guy that posts a bit on the Tulsa Woodworkers FB group. He does high end work, Twin Cedars Woodworks.

Not sure you understand what "no veneer" means for a project like this cost wise? It is very typical that the cases would be made out of ply of sorts, face frames, doors, drawer fronts out of solid or solid components.
If he's looking at a gunroom like that, I'd imagine cost would be pretty low on the effs to give list. Would love to see work in progress photos if that project ever gets off the ground though.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pardon the diversion.

Anyone got recommendations for a furniture maker that would cater to some custom demands?

I need something similar to these I lifted from the web. But no veneer. Dovetail joints, display drawers, possibly even a roll-top or pocket-door application for privacy when desired.

I see websites that cater to entire gunrooms but hadn’t tried any of those and would much prefer local.
Wish I had that many guns to display!

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If he's looking at a gunroom like that, I'd imagine cost would be pretty low on the effs to give list. Would love to see work in progress photos if that project ever gets off the ground though.
True, the pics he posted aren't "no veneer". So someone that demonstrably has a lot of resources didn't shy away from veneer.

Sgt Dog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
True, the pics he posted aren't "no veneer". So someone that demonstrably has a lot of resources didn't shy away from veneer.
Thanks for the replies. I used to build cabinets as part of an interior crew in a past life. And I built each of my kids an armoire along with other bedroom furniture when they neared transition from home. This is one ‘with’ veneer but the last was solid wood (all the gluing, clamping, plaining and sanding), it was by far my favorite but I understand the point. Solid wood would justify the cost to me. Advanced glaucoma along with shedding a lot of tools over the years precludes me doing a repeat. But I have a substantial collection I’d like to pass on, complete with appropriate display. It would have to be three units like the one pictured in my original post, with some display drawers. So hence the question. I’ll try and look up the source mentioned. Thanks for that!

Attachments

• IMG_9612.jpeg
    IMG_9612.jpeg
    53.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9613.jpeg
    IMG_9613.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9614.jpeg
    IMG_9614.jpeg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I used to build cabinets as part of an interior crew in a past life. And I built each of my kids an armoire along with other bedroom furniture when they neared transition from home. This is one ‘with’ veneer but the last was solid wood (all the gluing, clamping, plaining and sanding), it was by far my favorite but I understand the point. Solid wood would justify the cost to me. Advanced glaucoma along with shedding a lot of tools over the years precludes me doing a repeat. But I have a substantial collection I’d like to pass on, complete with appropriate display. It would have to be three units like the one pictured in my original post, with some display drawers. So hence the question. I’ll try and look up the source mentioned. Thanks for that!
Thanks for the clarification, you are one of the few that actually know the difference, and can appreciate the effort. If you are on FB he posts regularly in the Oklahoma and Tulsa woodworking groups. If you can't find him let me know and I will get you his info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom