Any metal fab folks here or recommended?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Ford Bronco that I found some bondo work hiding rust on today… I pulled the metal back a little and it looks like it may go down 6 or more inches. The other side may be the same way.

Anyway, anyone know of a good place to take it around OKC/Edmond?
311B2821-FA66-485F-BA1A-362323868697.jpeg
0D1A2489-21ED-4609-BB82-E43389708AEE.jpeg

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
By the looks of the peeling clear coat that is a driver and not a show truck.

You could rivet some sheet steel in that area and dink the rivets to sink them below body level and glass or bondo over it and shoot some rattle can paint on it.

Looks like emerald green.
https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-...VqilMCh3FqASzEAQYAiABEgJqoPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Yeah, the paint sucks. I’ve been debating on repainting it or just leaving it as is so I don’t fret new scratches. The previous owner just shot cheap green over the factory paint.. obviously after doing some body work here and there, but figured I had some time to decide what I wanted to do… now it looks like time is up!

It’s a project I’ve had for a few years. I want to do it the right way as much as possible, but it’ll never be a show truck. I put a new engine in it by myself, new suspension, and have all new interior to go into it. Just wasn’t anticipating the body work to take priority, but as it sits right now I can’t drive it for fear of water getting in so that’s top of the list.

I can do a lot of things, but metal work and welding are not on the list, so I think this job is best left to someone else.

Attachments

• 4758587C-3C98-47A4-B3D9-C3B2B41834D6.jpeg
    4758587C-3C98-47A4-B3D9-C3B2B41834D6.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet looking rig for sure.
You can't weld to rusty metal I have tried and you can't solder to it either and when it gets thin from rust if you can make it shiny it is foil thin.
That is why I like fiberglass for repairs like that.
You may not find shiny metal.
I have stuffed chicken wire into spots like that or fiberglass and resined over it and laid glass mat.

Hopefully someone here will chime in with a different fix.
If it was mine I would do glass.
And rattle can it.
But if I needed to drive it or park outside I would get some gorilla tape in black and seal the hole from the rain until I had time to fix it.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sweet looking rig for sure.
You can't weld to rusty metal I have tried and you can't solder to it either and when it gets thin from rust if you can make it shiny it is foil thin.
That is why I like fiberglass for repairs like that.
You may not find shiny metal.
I have stuffed chicken wire into spots like that or fiberglass and resined over it and laid glass mat.

Hopefully someone here will chime in with a different fix.
If it was mine I would do glass.
And rattle can it.
But if I needed to drive it or park outside I would get some gorilla tape in black and seal the hole from the rain until I had time to fix it.
Yeah. If it I can’t find a decent shop or person, that’s likely what I’ll end up doing. I have some fiber glass and some mesh for just this very thing. Not a bad idea if all else fails. Just worries me being a flex spot, I’d hate for it to crack… again lol

This is what someone else did on theirs, they just cut out the entire section and matched sheet metal. I wish I knew more about metal works, doesn’t seem too hard.

Attachments

• F3E793AF-9F78-4069-A647-53F453DCA6F1.png
    F3E793AF-9F78-4069-A647-53F453DCA6F1.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 0
  • E6DEA32C-91C1-4E83-A301-3921DDE41E76.jpeg
    E6DEA32C-91C1-4E83-A301-3921DDE41E76.jpeg
    101.6 KB · Views: 0

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Since you have a nice project bronco and already have money and time invested in it I'd do it up right. If mine, I'd start calling around or visiting some salvage yards to see it they have any similar model years (should be half dozen models yer broncos with same body style). If you find one take a battery powered grinder with cutoff wheel or sawzall and cut a section of that area about 3-4 times the rusted out area you have. If you can cut out the whole B pillar of the donor bronco even better. Take it back to your shop and start finding out how much rust you have to deal with on your rig. THen start doing measuments and do just like Capm_Spaulding shows by tack weliding the new panel in place. Grind, weld, grind, weld etc, etc. You took it to a reputable body shop they'd pretty much to this exact same thing.

Using a donor bronco will prove a much better repair than trying to match a generic sheet metal gauge and contour.

Capm_Spaulding

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since you have a nice project bronco and already have money and time invested in it I'd do it up right. If mine, I'd start calling around or visiting some salvage yards to see it they have any similar model years (should be half dozen models yer broncos with same body style). If you find one take a battery powered grinder with cutoff wheel or sawzall and cut a section of that area about 3-4 times the rusted out area you have. If you can cut out the whole B pillar of the donor bronco even better. Take it back to your shop and start finding out how much rust you have to deal with on your rig. THen start doing measuments and do just like Capm_Spaulding shows by tack weliding the new panel in place. Grind, weld, grind, weld etc, etc. You took it to a reputable body shop they'd pretty much to this exact same thing.

Using a donor bronco will prove a much better repair than trying to match a generic sheet metal gauge and contour.
Not a bad idea. According to a few forums online this area has a lot of flex and pressure so going with metal, and factory metal at that is probably the best idea. I’m mostly over the frustration now… mostly.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve made patch panels out of scrap body parts. I cut back the rust till I find geed metal. Treat with OSPHO and weld in patch panels. Thin putty after grinding down the welds. Sand prime and paint

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you looked around to see if anyone sells patch panels for it? They seem pretty popular, so seems like someone would be producing body parts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom