Any OKC gun stores let you try out different holsters?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Would love if some place had different kinds from various brands and let you use a dummy practice gun to get a feel for how they fit on the waist.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just tell them that if they don't allow you to try the holster,,,
You will buy anyone that "may" fit your pistol,,,
And try them out at home.

Then return the rest for full refunds.

I told that to a manager at Academy Sports,,,
He allowed me to try them with my carry pistol.

I had to eject the mag and show him an empty chamber,,,
But after the initial drama it was no big deal at all,,,
I did feel obligated to buy one after all that.

H&H allowed me to try a few out as well for my CZ-75B,,,
That time I took the unloaded gun/magazine in using a range bag.

Aarond

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the sake of keeping things simple, I don't even need to try it with my actual carry piece. My real problem with IWB holsters in the past has been how they fit the geometry of my hip area.

But good point about just buying all of the ones that might work and then returning the ones that don't work. If the store policy allows returns then that's probably my best option.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I asked a gun counterman at Cabela's if I could bring my gun in to check the fit of a holster.
They said yes I could. It was unloaded and in the original case that came with is without any magazine or ammo. At the front of the store, they ziptied the barrel through the ejection port. At the counter, the fellow had my holster ready and attempted to holster the gun with the ziptie in place. I told him to cut the ziptie and try it again. "Oh we can't do that, every gun that comes in gets ziptied and cannot be cut while in the store."

Again, I offered a solution, "Then ziptie the trigger, cut the tie through the barrel, and I can then try the holster." "Oh no, that is against policy. We don't tie triggers on guns, we have to tie them all through the barrel so they absolutely cannot load any ammo." I then asked, "You're telling me if a man with a 34" shotgun barrel walks in, you are going to ziptie his barrel through the action?" and not just the standard way of through the ejection port, then through the loading port?" I went further, "And if it is a double barreled shotgun you are going to use 30 some odd zipties through both barrels so no ammo could ever be loaded?"

At this point I'm just playing him and the other countermen and a few customers are grinning. "What if I go back outside, take the barrel out of my gun, bring it back in unassembled, assemble it in front of you and try the holster without a ziptie?" Counterman, "No we can't do that either, it has to be ziptied."

~sigh~ "You don't sell many holsters, do you." (Laughter)

I thanked him anyway, took my gun back, put it back into the case, took off my jacket throwing it over my shoulder revealing a fully loaded cocked and locked 1911 on my right side.

Everyone at the counter and the employees behind it busted a gut laughing as I walked out.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BigBoys in Mustang could be a place to try. It’s been a couple years since I did it but they used to be cool about that sort of thing.

Bring the gun into the store in a case/no mag/action open (NOT holstered on your hip with one in the pipe that needs ejected after you draw lol) talk to them and I’d bet they’ll work with ya

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put a barrel block or dummy/training barrel in it. Should still holster fine, and a good training aid anyways. Cheap on amazon. Think mine was like $10 from 5.11

Latest posts

Top Bottom