Any reasons to choose a 16 inch vs 18 inch barrel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

93 FOX

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hear a lot of talk about which barrel length is better, i.e., to wit, e.g., in lieu, 16 inch vs 18 inch. I would like some feedback from my fellow shooters who can shed light on this issue. Primary POU is dedicating a variable magnification scope on an Ar-15 for beyond 200 yards. I am looking at adding one of the these types of rifles to my collection. Please tell me your thoughts on barrel length and gas system. I am looking at spending under 1700.00 for the rifle. Thanks in advance.

One will not be more accurate than the other, the only difference will be the 18 inch barrel will have a higher muzzle velocity (about 75 fps) than the 16. This will result in less bullet drop after 250 yards out. Once the bullet gets out to 600 yards the drop difference might be 4 inches. At 300 yards its about a 2 inch difference. There's really no reason to go longer than 18 inches.

The gas system I think most will agree on, 16 = midlength, 18 = rifle length.

JaredC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMHO 16" lengths exist solely for NFA purposes, otherwise you'd see a lot more 14.5" barrels. If I wanted something for distance and not to be used for any sort of home defense or purpose that a shorter barrel would me advantageous and didn't want an SBR or pistol, I would go 18" or longer.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One will not be more accurate than the other, the only difference will be the 18 inch barrel will have a higher muzzle velocity (about 75 fps) than the 16. This will result in less bullet drop after 250 yards out. Once the bullet gets out to 600 yards the drop difference might be 4 inches. At 300 yards its about a 2 inch difference. There's really no reason to go longer than 18 inches.

The gas system I think most will agree on, 16 = midlength, 18 = rifle length.

I agree with everything said here. That being said, I've had both the 18"-rifle length and 16"-middy. I sold the 18" and still have the 16" with a variable 1-4x. Check out the Recce setups for reference. The less weight and overall smaller package was more important to me than a few extra FPS since I carry this rifle around.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with everything said here. That being said, I've had both the 18"-rifle length and 16"-middy. I sold the 18" and still have the 16" with a variable 1-4x. Check out the Recce setups for reference. The less weight and overall smaller package was more important to me than a few extra FPS since I carry this rifle around.

Good point.

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

What does your setup weigh without the optic?

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What does your setup weigh without the optic?

Without optic it's 6 lbs 3.7 oz. With optic it's 8 lbs 2 oz. Here's what it looks like:

i77.photobucket.com_albums_j49_jakeums_photo_zps51241980.jpg

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The shorter barrel gives you better handling for close quarters. A longer barrel is better for ballistics. Longer barrels means more velocity. The .223 and AR15 was designed with a 20 inch barrel in the original M16. It was dissed for a lack of power.

Making the barrel shorter simply makes it less powerful. That is why we have the 6.8SPC. The military was trying to get back some of that power. They have also tried heavier bullets with faster rifling twist to regain some of the power they desired.

They traded lighter weight with more ammo for power. That is the trade you would be making by using a shorter barrel.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom