Any Tax professionals here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Since your question has been answered, May I hijack this thread?

My wife and I pulled out her 401K which wasn't a lot, to put down on a house we are building.

the financial institution it was with held out the supposed "taxes" on the total and deposited what was left to us.

to start with it was $31k and some change they took out 20% for federal =$6,209.00. and then about $1552 for state. leaving $23,387.00.

I know there is the 10% penalty also. that I will need to pay on next years taxes. is that state and federal? and is it on the original gross amount? What I'm trying to figure out is how much of the remaining $23,387.00 do I need to hold out for the penalty.

thanks for any help peeps.

10% should already be taken out, and it's on the gross amount.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
10% will not be withheld generally, you will pay it when you file next year's return. You need to review the regs to see if it can be waived if being used for a residence....

rhodesbe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 20% will be withheld. The IRS 10% penalty will be paid with your return. Approx $3200.

You sure it isn't 10% withheld and then 20% with your return? I'm not 100% on that, but I've heard family explain they were surprised they had to pay regular income tax on an early withdrawl in addition to the penalty they had held out up front.

Latest posts

Top Bottom