Any Tax professionals here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tranger2

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Imo, you should never withdraw retirement funds unless you have no other option. Sometime you can take out a loan against your funds under certain limited circumstances.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20% is withheld and 10% is assessed at the time the return is filed.
Is this just federal? What is state?
Imo, you should never withdraw retirement funds unless you have no other option. Sometime you can take out a loan against your funds under certain limited circumstances.
Excellent advice, unless you have a way to get a return greater than the 30+% loss.

fatcpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OK Guys. Getting or giving tax advice online is kinda' like reloading info. Use at your own risk. The answers given above are correct, including the possibility of exclusion from the general rules. One thing I would like to stress is that the amount withheld from your retirement plan withdrawals is not the amount of tax you owe on the withdrawal. It is just a deposit, like the withholding on your paycheck. Your actual tax is calculated when you complete your return for the year. Depending on your total income from all sources, you may be due a refund or you may owe additional tax. Since you are adding the amount withdrawn on top of your regular income, it will be taxed at your highest tax rate.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK Guys. Getting or giving tax advice online is kinda' like reloading info. Use at your own risk. The answers given above are correct, including the possibility of exclusion from the general rules. One thing I would like to stress is that the amount withheld from your retirement plan withdrawals is not the amount of tax you owe on the withdrawal. It is just a deposit, like the withholding on your paycheck. Your actual tax is calculated when you complete your return for the year. Depending on your total income from all sources, you may be due a refund or you may owe additional tax. Since you are adding the amount withdrawn on top of your regular income, it will be taxed at your highest tax rate.

Lots of truth in this ^^^^^ (esp. the part about taking free internet advice). Also, good info in the answer posted earlier to the OP's question.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20% is withheld and 10% is assessed at the time the return is filed.

This is correct. I did this last year (2014). Except I did not pay taxes (it was a Roth so income taxes were paid before the investment) and I did not pay penalty (since the money was used for down payment on a home, the penalty is waived). So for me it wasn't bad decision at all aside from forfeiting any compounding earning on the investment.

Is this just federal? What is state?

Looking at my 511 I don't believe the state assessed a penalty. Just the normal income tax on the distribution.

Use at your own risk.

No doubt :)

dubs chops

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dub chops
Would you pull the 401k again, knowing it would be taxed/penalized nearly 35%?

Yes,

It was not growing, It was a dormant account of my wifes, I will put all of the money I end up with on the house.

say I borrow $260k for the house.

@ 4% interest I would pay back a total of $446,860.72 over 30 years.
Now say I borrow 240k I would pay back $412,486.82

I had 31K in 401K
assuming I end up with $20k Paying it all on the house will save me a total of $34,374 over the life of the loan.

All this not to mention, "The .gov will eventually get to your 401k just like they did social security." I am building up equity with it now instead of over the next 35 years until I retire.

Latest posts

Top Bottom