Any truckers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belthos

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I put in over a million miles driving OTR in a 18 wheel truck.

In 2000 the death rate for accidents involving large commercial trucks was 1.2 fatalities per 100 million miles driven. Not just 18 wheelers, I couldn't find information that specific.

There were 208 Billion miles driven by large trucks that year according to the government.

Bear in mind that this figure does not attribute blame for the accident. The vast majority of all Large truck and small vehicle accidents are found to be caused by the driver of the small vehicle.

Accident rates per million miles for heavy trucks have been dropping for the last decade and are lower than at any time in prior history.

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
also will it reduce the commercial vehicle accident rate in any way?
What is the fiscal impact of the proposal?

Good questions,a 2007 study(latest I could find) showed the following top 10 reasons for truck accidents. Fatigue is number 6, wonder if anything is being changed about the top 5?
Couldn't find anything right off about the fiscal impact.

1. Prescription Drug Use - 26% of truck accidents are caused by prescription drug use even though the "FMCSA has some additional rules that prohibit the use of legally prescribed controlled substances (such as barbiturates, amphetamines, morphine, etc.) by safety-sensitive drivers involved in interstate commerce."

2. Traveling Too Fast - 23% of truck accidents are caused by a direct violation of FMCSA's regulation 392.6, which states "No motor carrier shall schedule a run nor permit nor require the operation of any commercial motor vehicle between points in such period of time as would necessitate the commercial motor vehicle being operated at speeds greater than those prescribed by the jurisdictions in or through which the commercial motor vehicle is being operated."

3. Unfamiliar with Roadway - 22% of truck accidents are due to drivers reading a map or directions during travel. The FMCSA posts helpful tips to follow before driving to prevent these very accidents.

4. Over-the-Counter Drug Use - Even something as seemingly harmless as cough medicine can be very dangerous while operating a 80,000 pound machine; 18% of truck accidents are caused by over-the-counter medications.

5. Inadequate Surveillance - 14% of all truck accidents are caused by truck drivers not being adequately aware of their surroundings. Over 1/3 of all accidents between large trucks and cars take place in the "No-Zone" located in large blind spots. Truck drivers should be fully aware of these limitations and drive with caution accordingly.

6. Fatigue - Federal regulation states that commercial truck drivers cannot drive more than 10 consecutive hours, or more than 11 hours in a day, yet 13% of truck accidents are caused by the truck driver's fatigue.

7. Illegal Maneuver - 9% of truck accidents are caused by a truck driver not following the rules of the road. While drivers of all vehicles should always follow traffic laws, truck drivers should be extra cautious as their vehicles are 25-50 times the size of others on the road.

8. Exterior Distraction - Risky behavior while driving, such as talking on a cell phone, eating, reading, or adjusting the radio, accounts for 8% of trucking accidents.

9. Inadequate Evasive Action - In the 3/4 of a second it takes for the brain to send the signal to brake to the time the foot actually applies the brake, a truck can travel over 60 feet. 7% of all trucking accidents are caused by a driver failing to slow or brake in sufficient time for stopped or stopping traffic.

10. Aggressive Driving Behavior - 7% of accidents are caused by a truck driver not taking in account their visibility limitations or pure size of their vehicle while disobeying traffic laws, whether it be following too closely or cutting off other drivers on the road.

http://www.cmpwlaw.com/blog/bid/201619/Top-10-Prevalent-Causes-of-Truck-Accidents

oneton

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad I sold my truck a few years ago. I used to pull parts from Laredo to KC. With those new rules in place that trip would have taken an extra day or two per turn. Wow

dowmace

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When i use to drive cross country, i had to log in on stupid computer.

When i started driving locally, i learned how to get around the log book? LOL
My understanding is they are going to force us to move to electronic logs, if that happens pay is going to crash for a lot of small guys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom