Anybody ever thought about duracoating....you can do it!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a rifl,e that I bought used that was duracoated, but the guy that did it didn't do the crown. I also scratched it down to the metal mounting the scope. Can those two places be touched up or do I have to start all over?

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a rifl,e that I bought used that was duracoated, but the guy that did it didn't do the crown. I also scratched it down to the metal mounting the scope. Can those two places be touched up or do I have to start all over?

It's your choice. :)

What color is it?

If it is a dark color, and you don't want to refinish the whole thing, you can put a couple dabs of cold blue on it and it will make it much less noticeable then bare steel.

Of course, it only works on carbon steel, and it is a temporary (very temporary) solution, but to be honest, I do it all the time on my pistol. :) I like for it to look purdy... I look at it like a pretty woman putting on make up.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis I understood what you were saying and I appreciate it. There is nobody locally to do the blasting that Duracoat recommended. However, I did not give the guy as much as he was asking for the gun either!

One word of advice is to not get the gun blue color. I only say that because it doesn't look like a blued gun, there is a blue tint to it.

tjones96761

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
already tried the cold blue trick and it's still very noticeable. I already paid through the nose to refurbish this gun (jeweled bolt, recrowned, muzzlebrake), and it's probably not worth any more now than when I started.
I've also heard that the ceracoate is more durable and lasts longer than the duracote. any truth to that?

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
tjones-don't know about the durability between the two. I've never used cerakote. I'd say that you could find somebody to blast the thing for ya then have somebody coat it. If nothing else, get it blasted and give me a holla and i'll coat it for ya.

gmar-the two that I've seen done have held up very well. One on a 223 and one on a 6.8spc. There should not be any heat related issues if that's what ya mean.

gmar

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I want to Duracoat my 6.5 Grendel in some sort of camo job but I don't want to pay the extra $75 for the camo decals. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this without their stickers? I was thinking about the Rhodesian Camo paint job they have available.

TacticalJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
draw your pattern out and get an idea of what you want. Go to your local parts/paint supply store and get some 3m blue fine line tape. You can tape it off like you want and shoot it. That's the best advice I can give. I saw on another forum that a guy laid his pattern out on his gun in pencil and then set numbers for his colors. He numbered each spot on his rifle for that color. It looked like it would work. If I find that one again, I'll post a link or something.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traxxis I understood what you were saying and I appreciate it. There is nobody locally to do the blasting that Duracoat recommended. However, I did not give the guy as much as he was asking for the gun either!

One word of advice is to not get the gun blue color. I only say that because it doesn't look like a blued gun, there is a blue tint to it.
I will certainly remember that! :)
already tried the cold blue trick and it's still very noticeable. I already paid through the nose to refurbish this gun (jeweled bolt, recrowned, muzzlebrake), and it's probably not worth any more now than when I started.
I've also heard that the ceracoate is more durable and lasts longer than the duracote. any truth to that?
It is my opinion (which is worth exactly what you paid for it!), from my research (albeit, no hands on, but hours and hours of research on the matter) that Cerakote is quite superior to Duracote, however, you won't get any of the exotic colors like Duracoat.
I want to Duracoat my 6.5 Grendel in some sort of camo job but I don't want to pay the extra $75 for the camo decals. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this without their stickers? I was thinking about the Rhodesian Camo paint job they have available.

Pine needles and fishnet? I've seen some neat camo jobs done like that which look fantastic.

Latest posts

Top Bottom