Anybody ever try any Russian Tula 223 ammo???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesse, buy the Barnaul made stuff (Brown Bear or Monarch - FMJ 55 gr only)

MilitaryShooters.com has had good deals on the Brown Bear recently ($230 shipped for 1k). They post a lot of coupons on various forums so make sure you search on google for them.

Also check gun-deals.com

The Barnaul stuff shoots 3 MOA and is reasonably close to POI inside 200 yards to my handloads.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Also, shoot 1 brass cased round for every 10 or so steel cased. Just load them up in the mag like that. The brass case will pull the gunk out of the chamber left by the steel cased stuff.

I have about 750 steel cased through my JP barrel so far. I've never put a brush down the bore and it will still shoot mixed cased 10 shot handload groups into under an inch at 100. So I can say for a fact that the Barnaul stuff is GTG in the 55gr.

jedc53

New to the site!
Reaction score
Tula 223 ammo has been the government arsenal in Russia since the 1800s.I have no reason to believe that their ammo is any worse than our government arsenal ammo.I tried 60 rounds of Tula's .223 rounds in my RRA AR-15.It was just as clean as my PMC Bronze ammo and it didn't have any lacquer coating, just a light clear polymer coating. Accuracy was just as good if not better than the PMC ammo.

ninefan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jed, shoot groups with both our stuff and the Tula and it should be painfully obvious which is higher quality. Even Privi in 223 will outshoot the steel cased Tula by nearly 50%.

I agree that it is not overly dirty, but it is definitely not the same. The velocity on the Tula is ~200 fps less also.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jesse, did you buy and shoot the Tula yet?

I bought 200 rounds. I shot a mag through it slowly at the head of an Ipsc target at 20-30 yards and it hit it's mark which is exactly what it needs to be able to do for my practice ammo or on the hoser targets at tomorrows rifle or any 3 gun match. I am going to the range now to test it's longe range accuracy.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought 200 rounds. I shot a mag through it slowly at the head of an Ipsc target at 20-30 yards and it hit it's mark which is exactly what it needs to be able to do for my practice ammo or on the hoser targets at tomorrows rifle or any 3 gun match. I am going to the range now to test it's longe range accuracy.

Good to know! I just ordered 200 rounds to test. Cabela's has it for 3.79 per 20.

jtischauser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was getting under 2" groups with this stuff today at 100 yards out of my JP rifle.

I then went over to the long range steel and ran 100 rounds of brass cased ammo through the gun followed by 100 of the Tula. I was shooting 40 round mags so I reloaded the mag with ammo 4-5 times inbetween 40 round bursts. At the end of my session the rifle was warm. So warm that I had to wear a glove in order to be able to hang onto my VTAC handguard. My session was cut short because once the gun was hot every 2-3 rounds got stuck in the chamber. I had to do the pile driver to the buttstock while pulling on the charging handle in order to clear the stuck cases.
This same thing happened to me last weekend in my S&W M&P 15R with some Wolf and Bulgarian spam can ammo after I heated the gun up with a 30 round dump.
So I guess the moral of the story is if you plan to shoot a bunch of steel case ammo take it slow and let the gun cool down some to avoid stuck cases.

shootinpreacher48

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
every experience i have with tula or any other steel case has been good, tula is also boxer primed and believe it or not i loaded some for a friend with his dies with 55 grain v max for coyote hunting so he does not have to pick up his brass cased stuff. it shot 5 in a nickel, i know sounds foolish but actually pretty cool though.

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was getting under 2" groups with this stuff today at 100 yards out of my JP rifle.

I then went over to the long range steel and ran 100 rounds of brass cased ammo through the gun followed by 100 of the Tula. I was shooting 40 round mags so I reloaded the mag with ammo 4-5 times inbetween 40 round bursts. At the end of my session the rifle was warm. So warm that I had to wear a glove in order to be able to hang onto my VTAC handguard. My session was cut short because once the gun was hot every 2-3 rounds got stuck in the chamber. I had to do the pile driver to the buttstock while pulling on the charging handle in order to clear the stuck cases.
This same thing happened to me last weekend in my S&W M&P 15R with some Wolf and Bulgarian spam can ammo after I heated the gun up with a 30 round dump.
So I guess the moral of the story is if you plan to shoot a bunch of steel case ammo take it slow and let the gun cool down some to avoid stuck cases.

What caliber is the chamber of your barrel? .223 or 556 or wylde?

edit: I just looked on JP's site. It seems they are wylde chambers. Which is the reason your 5.56mm cases are getting stuck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom