Anybody fishing Carl Blackwell?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Decided not to go to Konawa since learning they have stopped stocking hybrids.

Internet info on Carl Blackwell looks kind of interesting, and it's a little closer, so that's the new plan.

They have a pretty nice website with administrative info, but I would like to hear from anyone who has fished it recently or fishes it regularly.

I lived for years at Snyder, and from desire to launch was forty five minutes to Tom Steed. At that time Steed was loaded with big hybrids, and I really got spoiled. Had a boat set up for Texoma stripers, and found better fishing ten miles from the house. Apparently mostly gone now. Lake is low and shad kills have starved lots of the hybrids.

So if you can offer any advice on Carl Blackwell, particularly on hybrids and sand bass, please do. We are going this Friday.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I know people that fish for Crappie at Blackwell but not other species. I've seen some recent photos of very large hybrids coming out of Sooner Lake. You could probably PM dennishoddy for info about there.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The hybrids are centered on main lake humps on Sooner. Live shad is the ticket, but sooner slabs work almost as well. Unfortunately, the guy that designed them has retired, and will not sell them to folks that he doesn't know.

My fishing buddy and I were in BP in okc last week.

Some of those slabs sure looked familiar. (Wink)

Don't know what the new name is now, but they are look similar.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not Prunepicker, is it? If so, he's worse than retired.

Check out "six old geezers fishing Texoma."

Sooner may be the next trip. Carl Blackwell is this Friday, ready or not.

Any info is appreciated.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not Prunepicker, is it? If so, he's worse than retired.

Check out "six old geezers fishing Texoma."

Sooner may be the next trip. Carl Blackwell is this Friday, ready or not.

Any info is appreciated.

No, Prune Picker slabs and Sooner Slabs were separate entities. Prune Picker (George) passed away. Prune Pickers slabs are now produced by another man in the Texoma area. Lead Babies slabs still produce slabs similar possibly even using same mold designs as Sooner Slabs.

I can't help you on Carl Blackwell. On Sooner you should find them 23'-27'. Be sure to kill all white perch, you can even fillet and eat the white perch.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Weather scared us out of going to Carl Blackwell, and on the advice here and some other sources, it'll be Sooner next Friday if the weather permits.

We went to Arcadia. "Arcadia" is a native American word for "pretty lake with no fish in it." :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom