Sooner Lake info needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We're going to give Sooner Lake a try next Friday.

I have done some searching on the internet, and don't seem to be able to find any good info on boat ramps.

So, where's the best place to launch? We'll be coming from I-35.

I presume the warm water outflow is in the northeast corner of the lake based on the satellite images. What do you suggest as the best way to fish the lake for hybrids?

We probably will not have any live bait. Slabs, swimbaits of various sizes, deep running crankbaits, conventional spoons, are what we plan to try first. Any advice on lures will be most appreciated.

I have done quite a bit of striper fishing at Texoma, and have caught a ton of hybrids when they were good at Steed, but this is my first shot at them in several years.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Take I-35 to 2nd Perry exit, turn right and go through Perry then go about 11 miles east to HWY 177, turn left (north) go about 8 miles to HWY 15 turn right (east) go about .5 miles and turn left (north to boat ramp). Cant help much on Hybrids this time of the year. (only fish Sooner Feb Mar Apr May). But I wouldn't spend much time in the discharge area this time of year. Electronics and Slabs may get some good fish. Some deep crankbaits can too but you will probably have to find some fish near bait.. Good Luck

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^ or skip Perry, continue on north to the Cimarron Turnpike, travel 15 minutes east, exit at first toll booth, travel North on 177 for 1 mile to HWY 15 then east.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^^ or skip Perry, continue on north to the Cimarron Turnpike, travel 15 minutes east, exit at first toll booth, travel North on 177 for 1 mile to HWY 15 then east.

This. The turnpike is the easiest/shortest route.
Hybrids will most likely be in deep water, try to find the thermocline and troll those crankbaits. Once you find em, start throwing slabs. If you look at the solunar, aim for peak times and follow the bait fish. You might hit it big for the feeding frenzy

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I posted the depth location of the hybrids in your Carl Blackwell thread, I think. Catch some white perch on small jigs and cut em for bait for hybrid. Slab on a couple poles and have the cut bait out on poles in rod holders. 17'-23' of water is where you will probably find them.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Late evening they will be pushing shad into the shallow water, mid lake hump.
North and a tad east of crappie point.

FYI, the intake to the power plant is north of the dam. The hot water discharge is south of the plant and enters the lake between the two boat ramps that run along highway 15.

If you use the east boat ramp, use great caution. There are tons of stumps and trees broke off below water level. Many a lower unit is decorating the bottom there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom