Anybody seen this proposed bill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could lean both ways, assuming it was changed to three points on each side. For one, it would not affect me. It excludes kids under 16, they should be able to shoot what they want for their first deer or two. I see where it could help age the deer herd in general by slimming down the number of 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 yr old deer getting killed, resulting in bigger deer to shoot at. Personally, I think there is no sense in killing a 6 point. But on the other hand, I don't like anyone telling me what I can and cannot shoot. I will manage the deer on my land as I please, and if I want nothing but spikes and does, I'll shoot anything with a fork that steps in front of me. That is not what I practice, but no one has the right to tell anyone else how big of a deer they can shoot. But those that do shoot a 6 pt or basket rack 8 have absolutely no right to ever ***** about not shooting a big deer.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I could lean both ways, assuming it was changed to three points on each side. For one, it would not affect me. It excludes kids under 16, they should be able to shoot what they want for their first deer or two. I see where it could help age the deer herd in general by slimming down the number of 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 yr old deer getting killed, resulting in bigger deer to shoot at. Personally, I think there is no sense in killing a 6 point. But on the other hand, I don't like anyone telling me what I can and cannot shoot. I will manage the deer on my land as I please, and if I want nothing but spikes and does, I'll shoot anything with a fork that steps in front of me. That is not what I practice, but no one has the right to tell anyone else how big of a deer they can shoot. But those that do shoot a 6 pt or basket rack 8 have absolutely no right to ever ***** about not shooting a big deer.

Normally I would agree with what Roosta said on this issue, but now that I have a guy hunting the land east of my farm, right on the fence line mind you, on 5 acres that adjoins a huge wheat field, that shoots any deer that walks by, spike, fork, basket whatever, I have to say that I could support a 3 points on one side bill. I may not ever see another mature buck on that farm at the rate he and his friends are killing little bucks. I don't understand the rationale of adding an antler point restriction and then increasing the number of antlered deer that can be taken in deer gun season to two, I think one antlered deer in gun season is enough, with two total for all seasons. Now, leave the dang spikes, forkies and basket bucks to the kids! Carry on.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
But on the other hand, I don't like anyone telling me what I can and cannot shoot. I will manage the deer on my land as I please, and if I want nothing but spikes and does, I'll shoot anything with a fork that steps in front of me. That is not what I practice, but no one has the right to tell anyone else how big of a deer they can shoot. But those that do shoot a 6 pt or basket rack 8 have absolutely no right to ever ***** about not shooting a big deer.

Actually yes we do
It might be your land but the deer do not belong to you. They belong to the people of Oklahoma.
We have the right to vote on how we want our state herd managed.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Screw the point limit. Deer is the staple food at my house, I kill'em for groceries, not antlers.
"We manage for trophy deer"....good. I manage for tasty steaks.
When the ODWC starts putting gas in my tractor, putting corn in my feeders, and planting my food plots, I might start listening to their ideas about what I should harvest.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut it to one buck per person will do more to accomplish increased maturity of the bucks than a point restriction. However, we as common hunters have to be careful with what we wish for. As the trophy potential increases so will the cost of hunting. (Leases, land sales, etc.)

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cut it to one buck per person will do more to accomplish increased maturity of the bucks than a point restriction. However, we as common hunters have to be careful with what we wish for. As the trophy potential increases so will the cost of hunting. (Leases, land sales, etc.)

Exactly
But a one buck limit AND an AR could make a huge impact.
But like you said...
We will cut off our own noses

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually yes we do
It might be your land but the deer do not belong to you. They belong to the people of Oklahoma.
We have the right to vote on how we want our state herd managed.

When was the last time that you, yourself, got to vote on something like that? You don't. You are putting your desires in the hands of some politician that you may or may not have even voted for, who does not even know the difference between a 12 point vs 3 points on each side. Trying hard not to get on my over tyrannical government soapbox here, but they have no right to tell me how big of a deer I can shoot. Give me season dates, give me sexes, I will abide by that, but you are taking it too far on telling people how big a deer they can or cannot shoot. That is not the place of government. That is the place of a hunt club, a lease, or whatever other kind of hunting organization one may join.

In sticky's situation, yeah man, I would be all in favor of it too. Always pisses me off when you see some forkhorn bounce over the fence and 5 minutes later that jackass neighbor over there smoking cigarettes in his stand proceeds to blow the front legs off. Makes me sick. But that is his choice. Neither you or I would agree with it, but it is not our choice.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am against antler restrictions on private property because one landowner's goal may be different than the next. Have we come to the point that one hunter's desire for "trophy" deer outweigh another hunter's desire to enjoy the hunt in his own way?? Shouldn't each hunter get to decide what is and is not a trophy? I get no thrill out of shooting small bucks, and I don't allow them to be taken on my property, but, who am I to tell you that you shouldn't shoot a fork horn on your property if it makes you happy??

Even so, I am more concerned with SB1605 than I am with a point restriction.

"Senate Bill 1605 by Sen. Wyrick. Allowing for people to recover animals from the property of another if, prior to entry, they notify the county sheriff who shall record the name, driver license number and location given by the person. Bill would be effective Nov. 1, 2014."

Just sent my Senator an e-mail asking her to help defeat this bill.

Latest posts

Top Bottom