Anybody seen this proposed bill?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When was the last time that you, yourself, got to vote on something like that? You don't. You are putting your desires in the hands of some politician that you may or may not have even voted for, who does not even know the difference between a 12 point vs 3 points on each side. Trying hard not to get on my over tyrannical government soapbox here, but they have no right to tell me how big of a deer I can shoot. Give me season dates, give me sexes, I will abide by that, but you are taking it too far on telling people how big a deer they can or cannot shoot. That is not the place of government. That is the place of a hunt club, a lease, or whatever other kind of hunting organization one may join.

In sticky's situation, yeah man, I would be all in favor of it too. Always pisses me off when you see some forkhorn bounce over the fence and 5 minutes later that jackass neighbor over there smoking cigarettes in his stand proceeds to blow the front legs off. Makes me sick. But that is his choice. Neither you or I would agree with it, but it is not our choice.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I agree with any of it. Especially anything political.
What I am stating is the fact that it's not the individual's decision. Just cause the deer is on our place doesn't mean it's ours. It's a group decision and everyone has to follow it. If the decision is made that you can only kill a bucks with 9 on one side split beams with 12 points on the other, blind in one eye and only has one testicle. Then that's what we get to shoot.
Luckily for a lot of us the decision is that the choice is left up to us.
But the whole "it's my land I'll shoot what I want" mentality doesn't work.
I'm a trophy hunter, always have been. Is love nothing more then to see more trophies in oklahoma. But I also fear nothing more then oklahoma becoming a trophy state. It's a two edged sword for me.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will give you this though
No typically we never get to vote on this stuff. At most the ODWC will put out a poll then make the decision they were gonna make anyway.
Usually we don't even get that! Just some new reg that pops up in the book no one knew about til they see it in the "looks what's new this year" page lol

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you, I'm just stirring the pot. If it were my choice, and I actually supported something like that, I'd take it a step further and say no one shoots a deer less than 8 and/or inside the ears, if you're going for trophy deer don't half ass it. But I don't get to make that decision for my neighbor. I don't think just because it is my land that I own the deer or it is my land I will shoot what I want... to a point. I won't shoot deer out of date, or anything of that nature, but it just boils my blood at the thought of some slicker in a tie telling me that I can't shoot a deer because he does not have a certain number of points.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya what I want to know is why the hell is a politician writing bills for wildlife stuff?
Isn't that why we have the ODCW.
The "Ties" need to mind their own damn business
Guaranteed, he's friends with some trophy hunter who wants to push his beliefs on everyone else and he talked him in to writing this bill.

Sticky Stokes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ya what I want to know is why the hell is a politician writing bills for wildlife stuff?
Isn't that why we have the ODCW.
The "Ties" need to mind their own damn business
Guaranteed, he's friends with some trophy hunter who wants to push his beliefs on everyone else and he talked him in to writing this bill.

That's the way it works my friend, special interest group or person wants a bill to address an issue, a legislator has it written up, they rarely if ever contact the State agency that will be charged with enforcing the law before they put the bill out there, sometimes they do, but most of the time they don't.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO, point restrictions will not do much for the majority of Oklahoma. As it stands currently the majority of bucks being killed in Oklahoma are 2.5yrs or older currently. The vast majority of 2.5yr old deer in OK already have 4pts or more on one side. Heck, lots of 1.5yr olds in this state are 3 or better on one side. Some states the pt restriction works in. This isn't one of them, IMO

Education is the key to growing big bucks. The "hunters in the know watch them grow" is a good start!

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just wish they would quit rubbing the bark off my photinia bushes beside my porch. I will hear my little dog barking and I have to go out an yell at them to stop before they will go away.

DEER 24/7

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I think man should be able to shoot what ever he wants a trophy is to oone man isn't to another.and saying a deer has to have 6 points isn't going to help much most of the 1 1/2 yr old bucks I see are forks with brows that's 6 points and also some 6 points are mature deer.i seen a six point one time that I would rather of killed then any deer I have ever seen except for one in western ks.the best thing for Oklahoma to do is just make it a one buck state.i get tickled when I hear oh I just hunt for meat.all you meat hunters tell me if I am wrong about this me as a trophy hunter I let young bucks go and kill does for meat.i bet there isn't a meat hunter on this forum if they seen a 7 1/2 year old buck with a 160" rack walk out.that they would let it walk well why not he isn't a good eating deer why not wait on a forky or doe.now if there is one here speak up and say ahh I would let it walk and kill something a lot better eating

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Point restrictions can work. However they would never work here. We don't have the problems that could be addressed using this management technique.

A law like this would absolutely ruin the mature end of our deer herd.

The biggest flaw I see with ARs is you run the risk of killing off your best genetics at a young age.
If a guy is going to shoot the first "legal" buck he can. He could have six 1.5 year old bucks come by all forks and horns, six pts etc and one small young 8pt. If the restriction is 8 or better, then he's shooting the best genetic buck of the group. Still at a very young age when he hasn't had a chance to breed in so leaving the lesser to genetic to pass on. Texas proved that theory years ago. That's why they have an AR then a spike/doe season.

Latest posts

Top Bottom