Anyone follow the Headstamp Publishing drama today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Followed some of it. The author and the battalion he was with were, or are, neo-nazis apparently. Ian liked the manuscript from the perspective of modern combat between two "regular" similarly equipped forces, not the asymmetrical warfare of most of the current conflicts.

It's a shame, not because I sympathize with Nazis, but because a unique perspective has been lost about a war hardly anyone knows anything about. It's doubly interesting because the author is Swedish and joined in a foreign war. It's even worse that the immediate assumption is that because someone has extreme political leanings, then everything they saw and did is now somehow not useful or worth reading, even in a critical manner.

I'm anti-censorship, anti-cancel culture. I'm rational enough to judge the moral scope of what I read without the guidance of a bunch of offended souls. It's pathetic that people stoop to silencing people rather than allowing others to draw their own conclusions or pick the useful information out from the political.

That said, if someone is uncomfortable publish a book in today's hyper-sensitive and litigious society, I can't blame them. Especially from Ian who has been careful to remain as non-political as possible in his public persona. However, the manuscript is done. This will get published, just not by Ian's group. They author isn't going to back away and shelve it, and there are many who don't care about his affiliation. There's no way this won't get released by a different publisher at some point, even if it is the darkest corners of the printing press community.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have followed Ian for years. I respect the guy for trying to keep things informative and non-political. I truly believe he was caught off guard on this and even has the guts to admit they didn't do their due diligence on the author. He is fairly new to the publishing world and until now had only been dealing with authors he knew personally. I can understand that things go wrong and people make mistakes. It's being able to own up to those mistakes that shows good character in my eyes.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ian's a crybaby. (google his account of his ill-timed trip to Pecos Run N Gun - the response from the landowner to Ian is hilarious.

Still - we have arrived at a time when everything someone says, writes, "likes" will cause controversy.

In 1950 the Army published a manual full of interviews from German officers explaining battle tactics against the USSR when they were fighting communism. Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, even FDR might have said some things that were true, and of value today. We hamstring ourselves when we silence those we disagree with. So...carry on crybaby, carry on.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got to hang out with Ian and Jim Supica at the NRA meeting in KC many years ago. They were disecting Broomhandled Mauser imports in various calibers for differences between internal parts sizes/caliber and years mfg. Cool guys

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ian's a crybaby. (google his account of his ill-timed trip to Pecos Run N Gun - the response from the landowner to Ian is hilarious.

Still - we have arrived at a time when everything someone says, writes, "likes" will cause controversy.

In 1950 the Army published a manual full of interviews from German officers explaining battle tactics against the USSR when they were fighting communism. Hitler, Stalin, Churchill, even FDR might have said some things that were true, and of value today. We hamstring ourselves when we silence those we disagree with. So...carry on crybaby, carry on.

Hmmm, I did google it. The whole exchange is on Forgotten Weapons website. I had not seen that before.

Pecos Run-n-Gun Disappointment

I'll most certainly call Ian out when he needs it.

but you all read the exchange for yourself and make up your own mind up about who is the crybaby

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hmmm, I did google it. The whole exchange is on Forgotten Weapons website. I had not seen that before.

Pecos Run-n-Gun Disappointment

I'll most certainly call Ian out when he needs it.

but you all read the exchange for yourself and make up your own mind up about who is the crybaby

I was there, and know the individuals in question. He's a crybaby.

Latest posts

Top Bottom