Anyone have a large open field I could use to fly my ultralight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a powered-paraglider ultralight aircraft and I need a large open field to fly it. It doesn't have to be huge, but the bigger it is, the better. I see plenty of suitable areas on Google Earth, but I don't know any of the land owners. I'm looking for something within a 45 minute drive from Tulsa. My aircraft is a parachute attached to a backpack-worn "fan" so there will be absolutely no damage to your land.

Thanks

Speedrat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go up to Vinita airport, those guys all have ultralights and would more than welcome you! They even have a club that meets in Owasso once a month.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How big of an area is "big enough?"
I have some land on the verdigris river right off 412 which has part of a small airplane landing strip on it. Im sure my neighbors wouldn't mind if your got on them either (no fences separating it right now)
I'd just ask that u let me know when you are going out there.

KenL

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have an airport in Cashion you're welcome to if you can't find anything within your 45 minute limit.

i1190.photobucket.com_albums_z444_sceptrex_85OK.jpg

Cougar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow. I'm amazed that I have responses already! Thanks guys. I ideally want to avoid a traditional airport because the other air traffic creates an unnecessary hazard, and the nature of the parachute requires that unlike a traditional fixed wing aircraft, I must takeoff perfectly into the wind (no crosswind takeoffs) this makes a traditional North-South runway unusable if the wind is slightly off a perfect North or South direction (which it almost always is). Again, this is not a problem for a fixed wing aircraft, but does unfortunately present a problem for my parachute, which is why an empty field is usually a better choice.

AllOut: I'm very interested in seeing your land. "Big enough" for a powered paraglider is not really that big. Takeoffs can be done in less than 50 feet, but I'd like to have a large safety margin. If you know the Long/Lat coordinates of your land, would you please PM them to me so I can look at it in Google Earth? I would of course always ask before going out there, and I would respect yours and your neighbors' property.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
There's a guy who takes off in an ultralight from the little airport by the old Eastland mall all the time in the summer. Maybe that won't do for some reason?

Harvey Young airport I think is the name, off of 21st, though access is from a different street.

bmwguy25

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not going to sue anybody. I'd be happy to print up and sign a full waiver.
easy to say that now, but if you bite the big one no telling what other people might do. its a huuuuge liability. I'd just find a airport thats not busy and land and get going. Bristow would probably work.

Latest posts

Top Bottom