Anyone here have some .308 Winchester headspace gauges?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dove into the deep end of 308 ARs and am finding that specs and tolerances are all over the place. My latest build functions fine, but is blowing primers at a rate of 15 per 100 rounds. It's also a pain in the ass to eject a live round (have to slam the buttstock on the table to get the leverage).

Before I go spending $60 on a set of gauges, just wanted to see if anyone here is willing to help a brother out.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are the loads hand loads or factory? Sounds like the ammo could be out of spec or charged too high. Or could be seating the bullet in the rifling and creating too much pressure. Drop a round in the chamber and close the bolt, extract the shell and look at the bullet to see if the bullet had scratches higher up on it. I'm no expert but this would be a starting point.

SPDguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dove into the deep end of 308 ARs and am finding that specs and tolerances are all over the place. My latest build functions fine, but is blowing primers at a rate of 15 per 100 rounds. It's also a pain in the ass to eject a live round (have to slam the buttstock on the table to get the leverage).

Before I go spending $60 on a set of gauges, just wanted to see if anyone here is willing to help a brother out.

Yes. But I live in Stillwater.........

RustyW

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have taken a black magic marker & colored a case to see where it's contacting the chamber. I have a Forster "go" gauge but not a "no go" if it'll help. If the bolt closes easy on a chambered round, I'd try a fired round & see if it will chamber. I'd also try a slice of scotch tape on the casehead, that'll add .003 to the length, if that chambered I'd add another slice totaling .006. I've also used shim stock & a brass case. Yeager hardware had some in a variety pack. I had a set of hole punches that were sharp & used them to cut out a shim close to the size of the casehead. Insert the shim between the bolthead & casehead to use as a "no go". If you handload the full length sized brass case works, if you don't handload it's easier/better to use the gauges. Any way, I'd start w/a colored case & see where it's contacting the chamber.

Latest posts

Top Bottom