Anyone load 40s&w with bullseye?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazroh

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I already use bullseye for 9 and 45 and don't really want to have another powder. Was wondering what kind of results people have had.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use accurate #5 to load .380 .40 .45 all with cast bullets. had to use plated bullet data as a starting point for the .40. but, the results are great, and its cheap. the volume is over half on each case, so you cant double charge without seeing it overflow. i dig it.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Bullseye requires so little powder as to permit double and even triple charges. Extreme caution is needed to prevent overcharging, particularly with progressive machines.

I have solved the problem by using only loads that fill the case over half full. I know that's awfully conservative, but that's how I do it. Most of my reloading is rifle and .44 mag, so bullseye is not a player for me any more. It burns fast and clean, but I have never liked it because of safety concerns.

As far as having more than one kind of powder, you will never use the wrong one if you stay with bullseye. On the other hand, some rounds, and I think .40 is a player here, don't like the fast burn powders very much.

My suggestion is to go with a bulkier powder.

Euclid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Try Winchester Super Target.

It's fast, like Bullseye, so you don't need much but it fills that case (high volume). As and added bonus, my experience has shown that it smokes less than other powders I have tried when shooting cast bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom