Anyone looking for primers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went to Wichita Falls, yesterday.

A LGS, I have driven past, but never stopped in, was on my list.

I walk in, nice, clean, well stocked, couple of "customers", nobody says a word to me (I can live with that, I want to browse, not "be sold" something)

Nice selection of fishing rods ????, prices not so nice.
No reloading equipment, but some 1# powders in stock. $52 #, no thanks. THEN, I SPOT the end of the rainbow, shelf FULL of primers, LPP, LRP, SPP, SRP, MAGNUM, MATCH, AR, 209, MZ CAPS. Looked like 2016. I pick up 1k LPP and can't catch my breath. $213.99. I listen closely, surely Rod Sterling is speaking in the background. Look at LRP, $213.99. HOREEE CHITS. Match primers $253.99. I turn and walk directly to door.
Though I have walked past 3 employees, no word has been spoken.

IF you Desperately need primers, they have 10k+ of each size. Have at em, I will never be back.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind y’all, it is safe to use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers. Just not vise versa
For the most part.
I have used CCI 550 in my .223 but that is a magnum small pistol primer and In my testing the cup is a bit harder than the CCI 400 which is a small rifle primer.
My go to for .223 and 5.56 is the CCI 450.
I am glad I did not have to give scalper prices for them.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I went to Wichita Falls, yesterday.

A LGS, I have driven past, but never stopped in, was on my list.

I walk in, nice, clean, well stocked, couple of "customers", nobody says a word to me (I can live with that, I want to browse, not "be sold" something)

Nice selection of fishing rods ????, prices not so nice.
No reloading equipment, but some 1# powders in stock. $52 #, no thanks. THEN, I SPOT the end of the rainbow, shelf FULL of primers, LPP, LRP, SPP, SRP, MAGNUM, MATCH, AR, 209, MZ CAPS. Looked like 2016. I pick up 1k LPP and can't catch my breath. $213.99. I listen closely, surely Rod Sterling is speaking in the background. Look at LRP, $213.99. HOREEE CHITS. Match primers $253.99. I turn and walk directly to door.
Though I have walked past 3 employees, no word has been spoken.

IF you Desperately need primers, they have 10k+ of each size. Have at em, I will never be back.
Key words "Desperately need"
primers are dropping just like ammo - retail is waiting until they can be assured of not getting stuck with over-priced inventory - - IMO when fools quit rushing in you can get brand names for $40/k - manufacturers have made a killing on all this stuff in the past few years

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow, a place called “liberal tears” haha! Funny. Thanks for the tip OP

Keep in mind y’all, it is safe to use small rifle primers in place of small pistol primers. Just not vise versa
problem with that is many pistol firing pins won't put enough of a dint in the primer to hit the anvil and set it off

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
problem with that is many pistol firing pins won't put enough of a dint in the primer to hit the anvil and set it off
For sure! Very true.. I’m just saying during primer shortages and such, sometimes all I could find was small rifle.

The only pistol I had issues that wouldn’t set them off reliably was a revolver with a trigger job. Wouldn’t fire reliably in double action due to light strike

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For the most part.
I have used CCI 550 in my .223 but that is a magnum small pistol primer and In my testing the cup is a bit harder than the CCI 400 which is a small rifle primer.
My go to for .223 and 5.56 is the CCI 450.
I am glad I did not have to give scalper prices for them.
Yup. I have occasionally used magnum pistol primers, in light rifle loads. There for a while I load a bunch of low velocity 45/70 stuff with magnum large pistol primers. Worked great. My pressures were well under .460/454 casull/.500SW etc…

That being said though, as a general rule, it is not advisable to use pistol primers in rifle stuff

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use SPP in my .30 Carbine rounds.
Of course, they are for use in a pistol and .30 Carbine is not exactly a high volume, hard to ignite powder, round.

Latest posts

Top Bottom