AR 15 mags ??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just got my smoke/translucent Lancer L5 AWMs in and these are a definite improvement over their older Lancers (but still a touch more expensive than PMAGS by $1-2 over the windowed).

These things are noisier than Aluminum GI Mags (or steel mags for that matter) when empty, and there's not as much clearance on the nose of each round when they're loaded up (so none of the larger 5.56 hand-loads if the OAL is much more than XM-855). This equates to a little looser fit in the magwell of both my son's Spikes and my Noveske, but the good news is that they seem to function fine while stripping rounds out of the mag (and ejecting). Haven't fired with it yet, but they drop-free a little easier than PMAGs so too (I've had some PMAGs get a little snug and not drop-free from my Spikes and LMT lower before - not sure if that's specific to those lowers or PMAGs in general).

Overall, I'm happy with them - the added visibility in the mag is cool (I don't know how useful it is - just like in the Mag-Level windowed PMAGs, once they get inside the magwell, you can't see anything anyways) and they were only $18.95. The cheapest Mag-Level PMAGs are what - $17 and some change?

I may go ahead and order some steel mags and put in the Magpul followers and possibly upgrade the springs if I get bored

Maybe I'll try out some of the CMMG Immortal mags I hear are completely indestructible :)

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FYI, Troy Battle Mags are available in Dicks Sporting Goods at the sale price of $47.(and some change) for a 3-pack and several pee-wee and high school games are using tickets that have $10 off $50 or more purchase (so you'd have to add a $3 pair of socks or something) which gets you Troy Battle Mags for $12.(and some change). Plus, bonus... Socks!

Printable version can be found on the link on this page:

http://www.dealigg.com/story-Dicks-Sporting-Goods-Coupons-Sales

In case anyone wants to try them out.

brandt9913

Marksman
Reaction score
Pmags are great.

I also have a sure fire 60 rd mag for long 3 gun stages. I have never had an issue with it, but I also add a little graphite when I'm loading it. Start with a bit on the follower an add some every 10 rds or so when loading.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One that I would stay away from are the D&H teflon coated mags with magpul followers, at least the FDE colored ones. I bought 7, and when I left them in my trunk for a few hours in mag pouches on a hot summer day, the teflon melted and stuck them together. I don't know about you guys, but I like for my serious use gear to be able to be left in a car trunk for a while without melting. I have heard people say that the plain gray and black ones are good to go and that they never had this kind of trouble with them, so maybe it's just certain colors of their teflon coating. Anyway I contacted D&H and they didn't get back to me or try to make it right, so needless to say I won't be using their stuff anymore and will be telling this story to everyone I know who is wondering about what mags to buy.

I sold those D&H mags at a gun show for $7/apiece, and have replaced them with P-mags. That is what I will be using from now on.

Another one to stay away from is the Israeli orlite mags. They are pieces of junk and will spew the rounds out if you look at them sideways. Back when I had my first AR I thought it was very unreliable, but turns out it was just that POS Israeli mag.

Latest posts

Top Bottom