ar 223 ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrooster

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased a used ar 15 the lower is DPMS not sure about the upper and barrel. Where would i find the brand of the upper and barrel and if the upper is 223 or 5.56 ? The lower is marked 223/5.56.:anyone:

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Not a big AR expert but im pretty sure all ar barrels will be made to mil-spec which is 5.56. Also you can shoot 223 no prob in a 5.56 nato rilfe.

As far as manufacter is there nothing stamped on the barrel? On the upper there should be a symbol such as a keyhole or an A. These are the foundry marks which will tell you which foundry the casting is from. Many companies use the same foundries. Theres a page on the ar15.com site that will tell you the differant foundries and the symbols they use.

Any stampings or foundry marks you can describe will help indentify your part?

bink98xcab

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
im no expert either but i know NOT all ar barrels are 556, maybe if you could find out the manufacturer it would help(you know this) , how about near the chamber on the external part

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not a big AR expert but im pretty sure all ar barrels will be made to mil-spec which is 5.56. Also you can shoot 223 no prob in a 5.56 nato rilfe.

All AR barrels are not made to "mil-spec 5.56". Some are 5.56, some are .223 and some are .223 Wylde (sp). Some are stainless steel, some are carbon steel and some can be chrome lined. Twist rates could be anywhere between 1-7" to 1-12". Without any barrel markings it is hard to tell what you have.

preokc

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
All AR barrels are not made to "mil-spec 5.56". Some are 5.56, some are .223 and some are .223 Wylde (sp). Some are stainless steel, some are carbon steel and some can be chrome lined. Twist rates could be anywhere between 1-7" to 1-12". Without any barrel markings it is hard to tell what you have.

Good point. I guess im just going off guns ive had in the past. all had 5.56 nato on the barrel. But ive never pieced together an AR. all mine were factory builds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom