AR barrel break-in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, so I have my first brand new AR, and I was givin some tips on breaking it in...no reloads and no steel cases. Ok, no prob...but how many rounds does it take to consider "broke in"? My upper is a CMMG with WASP and is 1/9 twist.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Instructions that came with my Bushmaster XM-15 E2S DCM match rifle had me firing a single round, then swabbing the bore with copper solvent 2-3 times, then 2-3 dry patches. Three times of that then three times of firing three rounds, cleaning, then five rounds, etc. This is just from a ten year old memory. Have'nt seen the instruction sheet in years. I would believe that barrel break-in was done after 20-30 rounds of this. I've come to believe that a barrel that is built to correct specs will shoot well from day one.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What you mean the highly sought after WASP lining requires a break in!?!?

No reloads or steel cases doesn't make sense either.

Just shoot it.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Here's my break in process -

Put 30 rounds in a magazine
Insert magazine into rifle
Make little round holes in paper
Repeat

Barrel break in is a myth. Break in procedure for something like a 6.5x284 takes up 1/10 of the total barrel life! Screw that!

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Spiff. Enjoy shooting that AR, clean it when you get time, as soon after the days shoot as possible. Bench rest competitors may very well get an Nth degree more accuracy out of their rifles following their bore cleaning regimens. I honestly believe us autoloading/repeating rifle/carbine shooters' time is better spent focusing on other aspects of the discipline.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first AR has a chrome lined barrel and I fired three rounds then let it cool down and three more rounds then let it cool down and kept it up for 20 rounds, three rounds at a time so as not to heat it up too much at one time. Then I cleaned it good and was good to go. Probably not what some people consider right but it made me feel good at least. Any machining process will leave some marks or burrs that will smooth out with use, how many rounds are required to smooth them out? Probably everyone has a different answer

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, well I went out to Banner this morning, and put 220 rds through it. I did them in 3 shot intervals, but only cuz I was trying to zero in my rear sight. I had a few hiccups, but figured cus it was new...after 100 rds, it was shootin good. the last 20 rounds were Wolf brand ammo, it thats when it started acting up...it would feed a round, fire, and then click, I would have to charge it to get another rd to feed, I had to do this over and over. Could that be because there was not enough tension on the mag spring to push the next round up? I thought it was funny that it didn't start doing that until I started shooting the Wolf stuff.

All in all, it was a very fun morning, got to shoot my new M4, my buddy's Sig 556 and his newly acquired Mosin M44...that lil sucker packs a nice lil wallup!

12gabackup

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The only gun I'ld shoot Wolf in is an AK47. Unless I didn't have any other ammo.
Sounds like the gun was short stroking. The ammo didn't have enough gas to cycle the bolt or the gun just needs more shooting to wear the parts in. Maybe both.

Latest posts

Top Bottom