AR barrel break-in?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Airmech, are you using a heavy buffer and / or full auto carrier?

Did you try other magazines?

Could be short stroking, could be cycling too fast, could be magazine issue.

I have had very little trouble with Wolf in any of my ARs, so I find it hard to blame that.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, sounds like short stroking. Take the guts out, clean and lube them (CORRECTLY!) and try again....Wolf is known to be underpowered. Tell us what the marking on the front face of the buffer is, if it has one.

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Airmech, are you using a heavy buffer and / or full auto carrier?

Did you try other magazines?

Could be short stroking, could be cycling too fast, could be magazine issue.

I have had very little trouble with Wolf in any of my ARs, so I find it hard to blame that.

Ok, i'm a total newb to these...I don't think its a heavy buffer, and I don't know how to tell if its a full auto carrier.

There are no markings on front of the buffer. I've taken her apart and cleaned her really good....what is the wrong way to lube it?

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, i'm a total newb to these...I don't think its a heavy buffer, and I don't know how to tell if its a full auto carrier.

There are no markings on front of the buffer. I've taken her apart and cleaned her really good....what is the wrong way to lube it?

As far as I'm concerned there is no wrong way to lube it. AR's run best wet. Not damp. Wet.

If you have a heavy buffer it will be marked with an "H" on the front.

A full auto carrier has more metal at the rear:

aquarterbore.com_images_ar15_sp1_m16carriers_sm.jpg

The bottom is a full auto carrier.

You most likely have a regular buffer and semi-auto carrier.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

The wrong way to lube it is to put lube where it doesn't go, and not putting lube where it does go. :D

I put a drop of Mobil-1 inside the gas key, inside the hole of the carrier where the bolt goes, on the outside of the cam pin, on the outside of the firing pin, on the underside of the charging handle and in the cutout in the upper where the cam pin rotates. The last two will allow lube to drip down on the outside of the carrier. Wipe a small amount on the backside of the bolt lugs. I'll occasionally lube the trigger pins.

That's it! Not necessary or helpful anywhere else!

AirMech74

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, mine looks like a combo of the one on the top and the bottom of that pic.

ai146.photobucket.com_albums_r268_jaymzb74_Gun_20pics_ar15_sp1_m16carriers_sm.jpg

Thanks for the tips guys, I appreciate it. this is a learning process for me, so I'll take any and all advice/tips.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You've got a shrouded semi-auto then. The shroud is nice because it acts as the camming surface to cock the hammer (instead of the firing pin being the camming surface), which keeps the firing pin from getting beaten up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom