AR gas pressure question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to the AR15 world. I was shooting my 14.5" barreled AR the other day with some XM193 ammo. I know it's loaded pretty hot, but I was getting a little ejector "smear" or ejector "shear" on about every 3 out of 15 cases. It was relatively minor, but as I understand it, this is a sign of overpressure. Is that significant enough that I need to look into fixing it, or is it just a symptom of the hot ammo I was shooting??? I haven't shot much other ammo through this gun, so I don't know if it would happen with other ammo or not.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
XM193 is not a "hot" load, it is loaded to standard 5.56mm pressures. It is only considered "hot" when shot in a .223 Remington chamber. While most folks think .223 and 5.56 chambers are the same, they are not.

awww.razoreye.net_mirror_ammo_oracle_AR15_com_Ammo_Oracle_Mirror_files_556cham.gif

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the difference between 223 and 5.56. I also understand that most people consider xm193 a "hot" load. I guess to you, even if it's loaded to the max safe pressures, that's just "normal"???

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I understand the difference between 223 and 5.56. I also understand that most people consider xm193 a "hot" load. I guess to you, even if it's loaded to the max safe pressures, that's just "normal"???

People who consider XM193 hot are comparing it to .223. It is not hot, it is standard 5.56.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez dude. I'm not trying to get into a peeing contest, but from what I can find, XM193 is one of the hottest factory 5.56 loads out there. That's a fact. I'm talking only about 5.56 NATO rounds. I never brought up .223. You did. I give a rat's @ss about .223.

Again, XM193 is a "hot" 5.56 round. Measuring right up to 62K psi and throwing the fastest fps of any other cartridges. That is the definition of a "hot" round. I never said it was overpressured or and overloaded round. Saying something is "hot" doesn't mean it's beyond spec, dangerous and about to blow up your gun because of excessive pressures.

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Doc I'd rather have you inside my tent peeing out rather than vice versa and I mean that. You don't understand what hot means. I brought up .223 because most people who have no idea what they're talking about say XM193 is hot, because they're comparing it to .223. XM193 is not hot. Hot = overpressure. XM193 is not overpressure, and therefore not hot. It is not hot or cold, or hottest, or coldest. It is standard.

CAR-AR-M16

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeez dude. I'm not trying to get into a peeing contest, but from what I can find, XM193 is one of the hottest factory 5.56 loads out there. That's a fact. I'm talking only about 5.56 NATO rounds. I never brought up .223. You did. I give a rat's @ss about .223.

Again, XM193 is a "hot" 5.56 round. Measuring right up to 62K psi and throwing the fastest fps of any other cartridges. That is the definition of a "hot" round. I never said it was overpressured or and overloaded round. Saying something is "hot" doesn't mean it's beyond spec, dangerous and about to blow up your gun because of excessive pressures.

doctorjj, the only one getting into a "peeing" contest is you and you are being quite rude to those who are simply trying to help.:slap:

Contrary to what you and other folks "believe", XM193 is loaded to the STANDARD M193 military specifications. It is not "hot" unless compared to .223 Remington loadings. Some companies underload their 5.56, but that does not make the XM193 "hot" by any means. I have shot XM 193 out of my 12.5" M16 and my 16" and 20" AR's without any issues. If your rifle is chambered for 5.56mm and you are having a problem with the extractor almost pulling off the head than I would say that you gas port may be too large and your rifle is being over-gassed. Your only option would be another barrel or use underpowered ammo.

Again, I am just trying to help. If you continue to be rude to everyone, then I am done with this thread. Have a nice day.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Going back to my original post, when I said the ammo was "pretty hot", what I meant was in the realm of 5.56 ammo, it is loaded hotter than most and has tested right at the max pressures. I never meant to imply that it was an overload condition.

When I said the smearing can be a sign of overpressure, I meant too much pressure within the gas system, not overpressure from an overloaded cartridge.

With all that in mind, should I be worried about a couple of XM193 rounds showing ejector smearing/shearing or is that something that just occasionally happens with these AR's, especially when shooting maximally loaded 5.56 ammo????? Again, I'm not worried about pressure in the chamber. I'm talking about my gas port/tube system. I haven't seen any problems with this gun and any other ammo.

BTW, other people have noted that the XM193 has caused problems and does generate really high pressures both within the chamber and in their gas system.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=otherguns&Number=52060&Searchpage=1&Main=51836&Words=xm193&topic=&Search=true#Post52060%29

http://tgfblog.wordpress.com/2008/06/18/super-hot-xm193/

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=1033473

Latest posts

Top Bottom