AR piston full auto BCG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlau90us

Marksman
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I know in the legacy AR's there is a difference between semi-auto and full-auto BCG's. Just never heard of any differentiation between SA and FA piston BCG's...

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's a legacy AR?

You don't need any paperwork for a BCG. Just buy it.

And if you are found in possession of an AR(semi) and FA BCG parts you will be convicted of a felony. Don't pass go, no appeal. At the least, you'll plead, pay the big ol' fine, and still lose your firearms rights.:homer:

Right or wrong, the AR is the one item with iron-clad, precedent-in-stone, constructive-intent law.

I stated my previous response the way I did beacuse the OP is aware of the difference in the BCG if he is a legal owner. Purchasing a FA piston conversion set is simple, as long as you aren't trying to sneak.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if you are found in possession of an AR(semi) and FA BCG parts you will be convicted of a felony. Don't pass go, no appeal. At the least, you'll plead, pay the big ol' fine, and still lose your firearms rights.:homer:

Right or wrong, the AR is the one item with iron-clad, precedent-in-stone, constructive-intent law.

I stated my previous response the way I did beacuse the OP is aware of the difference in the BCG if he is a legal owner. Purchasing a FA piston conversion set is simple, as long as you aren't trying to sneak.

A full auto BCG is perfectly legal as it will not allow the rifle to function in FA.
The FA parts you can't use are the trigger group parts, this also includes the safety selector & sear as well.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uhh, no, you won't be. Perhaps you should consider fully educating yourself on these topics before you give advice.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there such a thing? I know in the legacy AR's there is a difference between semi-auto and full-auto BCG's. Just never heard of any differentiation between SA and FA piston BCG's...

to answer the actual question.
The difference between a SA & FA BCG is the cut at the back of the carrier.
The difference between a gas impingement & a piston BCG is the gas key.
So, technically yes there could be SA & FA piston BCG's.
I hope this answers your question.

Rob72

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uhh, no, you won't be. Perhaps you should consider fully educating yourself on these topics before you give advice.

I'm educated, thanks.
In February of 2005, BATFE wrote Colt, via Carlton Chen, this letter:

U.S. Department of Justice

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco
Firearms and Explosives
[stamp] FEB 10 2005

903050:RV
3311/2005-167
www.atf.gov

[stamp] Received FEB 14 2005
Legal Department

Mr. Carlton S. Chen
Colt Defense LLC
547 New Park Avenue
West Hartford, CT 06110

Dear Mr. Chen:

This is in reference to your most recent facsimile transmitted to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB), Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), on January 13, 2005. In your faxed letter, you seek clarification regarding the use of M16 machinegun bolt carriers in AR-15 type weapons.

As you are aware, since your provision of copies of relevant material in your previous faxes, ATF has previously addressed the use of M16 machinegun fire-control components in AR-15 type rifles in the General Information section of the Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide (ATF P 5300.4). (Please refer to page 115, item #3, “Important Information Concerning AR-15 Type Rifles.”)

However, we would like to direct your attention to a particular paragraph of item #3, which states the following:

In order to avoid violations of the NFA, M16 hammers, triggers, disconnectors, selectors and bolt carriers must not be used in assembly of AR-15 type semiautomatic rifles, unless the M16 parts have been modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration. Any AR-15 type rifles which have been assembled with M16 internal components should have those parts removed and replaced with AR-15 Model SP1 type parts which are available commercially. The M16 components also may be modified to AR-15 Model SP1 configuration.

Accordingly, based on previous FTB recommendations not to install this bolt carrier and the conclusions presented in the passage cited above, our Branch cannot specifically authorize you to install an M16 bolt carrier into an AR15 rifle. Also, we cannot definitively tell you that installing an M16 bolt carrier in an AR 15 will make that firearm fire automatically.

-2-

Mr. Carlton S. Chen

We can only inform you that if this installation were to create a firearm that fires automatically, it would be a machinegun as defined; conversely, if it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to posses and make.

We thank you for your inquiry and trust the foregoing has been responsive.

Sincerely yours,

[signed]

Sterling Nixon
Chief, Firearms Technology Branch

The gray area being if you try to argure that you only possess the M16 carrier for increased weight. Might work. Expensive experiment.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm educated, thanks.
In February of 2005, BATFE wrote Colt, via Carlton Chen, this letter:

The gray area being if you try to argure that you only possess the M16 carrier for increased weight. Might work. Expensive experiment.

page 115 of ATF Publication 5300.4 only contains info about background checks

mmchambers06

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BATFE Guy said:
We can only inform you that if this installation were to create a firearm that fires automatically, it would be a machinegun as defined; conversely, if it did not result in the production of a weapon that shoots automatically, it would be lawful to posses and make.

There you go.

I'm going to refer my bolt carrier as a "heavy semi-automatic bolt carrier" from now on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom