AR short stroke issue!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had this issue w/my first ar build. I put in a flat wire spring and it turned out to be 4" too long. I cut it and then I did not have any issues.

How did you know it was 4" too long? Was it just trial and error? I'm fine with cutting it, but what has me puzzled is my other upper is functioning as it should with same spring.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Uncle Money Bags:
Thanks for the help! It extracted spent casing, but did not load a new one. But I didn't have a problem manually loading a new one. I didn't check to see if fired cases were hot to touch or not...but I'll check next time.

The only thing different about the 2 complete uppers is the style of gas block. The gas block seems to be mated correctly to the barrel, and I don't see any visible blow by around the port on the barrel where gas is leaking. The holes may not be correct size to be honest I'm not even sure what size they should be. I think I may swap the whole gas tube and block out with the upper that is working and see if that changes anything.
If the same lower was used for both uppers and you are only having issues with one of the uppers, then you can put the spring and buffer possibility aside for now.
If you can, find a rubber or plastic tube that fits over the gas tube in the upper and see if you can blow air through it. If you can, then try swapping the gas blocks.
Make certain that the gas ports are aligned between the block and barrel.

Last edited:

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me it sounds like the gas port is to small and needs to be opened up. I ran across this a few times on 300 BLKout. I had to open them up a bit and use a 9mm spring with sub-sonic ammo. Then on some of the 5.56 guns I had to open them up to .093.

This is what I found on the other page with 7.62X39mm::: (This is not from me.)

Originally Posted By Discipledad:
I have a 16inch 7.62x39 AR. The barrel has a mid length gas system. does anyone know what size the gas port hole should be. It is currently 1/16 inch and keeps short cycling.

Few variables like: load you're running, buffer, recoil spring (rifle or carbine)....but a good starting point with something like Tula and a carbine buffer and spring on a mid-length gas system is around 0.095"......some systems end up around 0.100" to 0.114"....

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any updates on this?

Sorry it's been a busy week. I don't think I have a flexible tube that will fit over the gas tube, so I'll swap out the gas block and tube with the functioning upper. I'll measure ports on both barrels at that time. I'm hoping to get to the range this weekend. I'll give an update as soon as I try it. Thanks for the help!

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
To me it sounds like the gas port is to small and needs to be opened up. I ran across this a few times on 300 BLKout. I had to open them up a bit and use a 9mm spring with sub-sonic ammo. Then on some of the 5.56 guns I had to open them up to .093.

This is what I found on the other page with 7.62X39mm::: (This is not from me.)

Few variables like: load you're running, buffer, recoil spring (rifle or carbine)....but a good starting point with something like Tula and a carbine buffer and spring on a mid-length gas system is around 0.095"......some systems end up around 0.100" to 0.114"....

Thanks, I'll measure the ports and see if there's a difference between my 2 uppers!

DasSieben

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Coltdogg: How did you get an exact measurement on your gas port? I was switching out the gas blocks and tubes tonight and the gas port on the non-functioning upper is visually smaller. A 5/64" drill bit fits tight in non-functioning upper and same drill bit has play side to side in functioning upper.

The ports look like they had a good seal from block...perfect circle on both ports and didnt look like there was any blow by on either one. So im leaning toward reaming out the smaller port. Do you or anyone else have any thoughts?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom