AR sights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m not a big AR guy and I’m not an “operator” but I need to know what kind of sights/brands of sights ya’ll use or can recommend.

I have a Leupold 4.5X14X40 scope and a Sightmark Wraith that I use on it for when I take it coyote calling but need something more user friendly for home use.

I’m going to use it for duty inside the house for folks that want to make my stuff their stuff so, let me know whats a good starting place.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most shots inside a house are under 50 feet and i would say closer to 10 or 20 feet unless you have a very large house.
I think point and shoot or hip shot.
Practice point and shoot and hip shot without sights at that distance.
You may be surprised how accurate it is.
We hip shot many cans growing up.

Our bows did not have sights just recurves. Pull up and fire it.
Iron sights I say would be perfect if you need a sight, no need to get fancy.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mid tier options, Vortex PST 1-6X24, heavy but Philippines glass. Gives you the flexibility to shoot across a room (yes its vert doable with LPVOs and someone will chime in and say its super slow but thats a training issue not an equipment issue.)

Meopta Optika6 is another option in their 1-6X24, European glass, multiple reticles to choose from,

With those options you are going to have to have a 30mm scope mount, I prefer Warne mounts. If youre a veteran, all of those are discounted if you reach out to them.

You can run red dots if you want the superior in house optic but lose the whole magnification for further shots that may require identifying OR just seeing your target better. If you choose a dot, my choice would be a Aimpoint PRO because its not junk, its proven as a duty grade optic, and battery life is pretty good.

Theres also the Aimpoint Duty micro dot thats not stupid expensive and is smaller than the PRO.

Those are my mid tier choices and my opinions of course. If you want to discuss more options in depth or anything, feel free to PM me. Others will probably have a lot of options I didnt mention. Whatever you do, dont just buy cheap stuff because its cheap, Ive seen more cheap crap fail and make the end user really upset (myself included). Now I go mid tier at the cheapest and its not failed me yet.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most shots inside a house are under 50 feet and i would say closer to 10 or 20 feet unless you have a very large house.
I think point and shoot or hip shot.
Practice point and shoot and hip shot without sights at that distance.
You may be surprised how accurate it is.
We hip shot many cans growing up.

Our bows did not have sights just recurves. Pull up and fire it.
Iron sights I say would be perfect if you need a sight, no need to get fancy.

Bingo. In close quarters, if you can't even hit a human sized target while aiming down the top rail/barrel/handguard (without any sights) then you probably shouldn't be using a gun in the first place LOL.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
305954-flog.gif

Aside from beating the horse sack, I'd use a reflexive sight in that the scenario. If you need to go outside, you can get a magnifier with a flip mount. There are plenty to choose from - from expensive to cheap, Amercian made to Chicom and Euro, and everything in between. It doesn't take much to learn it and become proficient at it and you don't need to be high speed either.

I've posted this before but this site is a great resource for reading, learning, and helping decide on a solution.
https://www.optics-trade.eu/blog/category/dot-sights/
I don't think I'd be hip-shooting anything personally nor any other trickery in my house. Rifle bullets travel through almost all walls and tend to zip up appliances, kids, pets, etc. I would give this advice a big👎

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Swampratt your right, how many 100’s of rounds have been shot by eyeballing the target, I don’t have any sights on it now. You mentioned the recurve bow, heck I never thought about it that way, my recurve doesn’t have sights either.

Jgibs0321 I agree with your thought's. I’m of the buy once cry once thinking. I’m not dripping money but I won’t buy junk.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the bad guy is coming at you or darn close don't tell me you will pull up and try to get him/her in a sight.
You can thumbs down the hip shot but it works.
Works on deer also.
I know of 2 that died from hip shooting. One took a 250 gr muzzloader round and fell on the spot and another was a single 55 v-max from an ar, it made 1 last jump and piled up.

The muzzleloader shot deer was close enough to poke it with the barrel.
My son shot it.
He was walking a trail with his head down and remembered a story i told him of a friend of mine looking down at his shoes while walking a trail. Looked up after he realized No Deer in my shoes and seen 2 deer staring at him.

My son thought about that and looked up and at the same time a deer was walking towards him on the trail looking at the ground.
They both looked up at the same time.
Almost crashed into each other.
Hip shot point blank.

Every one has opinions.
For self defense in a home I do not know if it will be dark or light and i do not need a battery operated thing I have to rely on to help me shoot.

I have hand guns all over the house with regular iron sights on them ready to go.

My father-in -law put his handgun away when we went to his house with my 4 year old grandson.
He was worried about the boy messing with it.
I told him he is well educated in weapons and does not mess with them unless he asks and he reloads ammo on top of that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom