Army Mochachino...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
While boringly looking at some YouTube videos the other night, I stumbled across a guy who samples various C rations and MREs from different eras as well as military rations from other countries.

But in some of the US MREs, he mixes the instant coffee that comes with all of them along with the cocoa drink powder that is sometimes included, and makes what he calls "Army Mochachino."

So this morning, I poured my medicinal cup of coffee but instead of mixing in my usual two teaspoons of sugar and Coffee-mate, I mixed in one teaspoon of sugar and one teaspoon of Coffee-mate and a package of hot cocoa mix.

I gotta say, it was damn good! Gives the cocoa a little extra pizzazz. Here's a link to his channel...

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How long are MRE's good for ?........anyway to date them ?

A fella I knew back in the early 90's that worked for the NG gave me four and just grabbing one it says;

MRE meal #4
beef slices with BBQ sauce
Accessory packet A
Southern pkg. and storage co.
Mullins, SC. 29574

I've always stored them inside and I've looked close and there is no date stamped or embossed in the package anywhere.

Still good to eat in a pinch or toss them ?

Last edited:

Mr.Glock

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have ate 20 year old MREs. Still edible and got us through the week ATV trip where we carried our own food for a week across Arkansas on a 4 wheeler.

kroberts2131

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our rule of thumb was to check the Tabasco. If it hadn’t evaporated yet, it was good to go.

Thought it sounded dumb at first, until we found an old case in the armory…..sure enough, all the Tabasco was gone in most of them.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Coffee cocoa and the included Tootsie Roll

As far as shelf life. 5 years in stored at 70 or lower. After 5 years they begin to loose their nutritional value quick. MREs spend a lot of time in shipping in non climate controlled trucks and or storaged improperly.

Those that have stcked them deep for the Zombie Apacolypse as their only source of food will become malnurished and stave. You will still get the calories and can even get fat on them. Just be aware

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
How long are MRE's good for ?........anyway to date them ?

A fella I knew back in the early 90's that worked for the NG gave me four and just grabbing one it says;

MRE meal #4
beef slices with BBQ sauce
Accessory packet A
Southern pkg. and storage co.
Mullins, SC. 29574

I've always stored them inside and I've looked close and there is no date stamped or embossed in the package anywhere.

Still good to eat in a pinch or toss them ?
Archaeologists have unearthed MREs in ancient predynastic Egyption tombs that were still edible.

Latest posts

Top Bottom