B-21 Raider? - Am I sheltered?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Something has been nagging at me in the back of my mind (no it was not Gunbuffer) They are making the B-21 to replace the B-1 and 2, but the ancient B-52 is just soldiering on. It took it's first flight in 1952 has been in service since 1955. In service almost 70 years!

And, doesn't the B-52 carry more bombs?

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And, doesn't the B-52 carry more bombs?
B52 can carry 1 rotary launcher, plus external loads, B2 can carry 2 rotary launchers and the B1 can carry 3 rotary launchers. The B-1 also has external hard points but they don't use them except for a targeting pod, they were limited by one of the arms treaties. There is one condition that the B-2 can carry more bombs than anything else and that is 500lb JDAMS. They have a clip in bomb rack that can hold 40 for a total of 80 and drop them all on different targets, in one pass. If they ever finish the small diameter bomb certification for the B-1, it will take back the crown. One configuration has 144 of them.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
B52 can carry 1 rotary launcher, plus external loads, B2 can carry 2 rotary launchers and the B1 can carry 3 rotary launchers. The B-1 also has external hard points but they don't use them except for a targeting pod, they were limited by one of the arms treaties. There is one condition that the B-2 can carry more bombs than anything else and that is 500lb JDAMS. They have a clip in bomb rack that can hold 40 for a total of 80 and drop them all on different targets, in one pass. If they ever finish the small diameter bomb certification for the B-1, it will take back the crown. One configuration has 144 of them.
I think the old B-52D could carry more conventional bombs between the bays and hardpoints on the wings. I do not remember for sure but if I remember right it was 80,000 lbs total.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think the old B-52D could carry more conventional bombs between the bays and hardpoints on the wings. I do not remember for sure but if I remember right it was 80,000 lbs total.
Yeah, the D had the big belly mod, but from what I'm reading the 52 can only carry 70,000lbs. Not a tremendous difference, but these days I look at the ability to carry guided weapons as the real indicator of being useful.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would have loved to see the B-1R done, but it just wasn't meant to be. They were going to re engine it with F-22 engines, open up the external hardpoints and outfit them with air to air missiles. The thing could have carried a squadron worth of them on one airframe and used F-22s to designate targets up close. Just the thing for dealing with the Chinese in the western Pacific.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, the D had the big belly mod, but from what I'm reading the 52 can only carry 70,000lbs. Not a tremendous difference, but these days I look at the ability to carry guided weapons as the real indicator of being useful.
Most times I would agree. The only real exception is when you really need to impress upon some tin pot dictator that messing with the US is not in his best interest. Then nothing beats an arc light raid on his palace.

Latest posts

Top Bottom