Bachelor Groups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was out at one of my properties this weekend and saw a bachelor group of 5 bucks running together. There were a lot of horns in the group with three that I would consider shooters in the 130-150 class. I always see bachelor groups this time of year, so it is a good time to be out and see what you've got in the herd. But I am pretty sure there are some bigger bucks around. In your experience, do the biggest of the big always run in the bachelor groups or are they more solo or reclusive even at this time of year? I threw out a game cam to see if I could capture anything else. Post season last year I saw two monsters that I hope are still around, one that was nontypical, but I didn't see them with the other fellars. Thoughts?

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In your experience, do the biggest of the big always run in the bachelor groups or are they more solo or reclusive even at this time of year?

Tracking data from some monster bucks at the ammo plant indicate that some of them are extremly reclusive--until the rut.
One that died of old age was observed by a tracking collar to stay in a few acres of ideal habitat most of the year.

Of course during the rut you might catch an old monster buck out in a wheat field checking out the does, like Bruce Willis at a singles bar............

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My experience is that the bucks all stay together for awhile. If you can pattern one early and get on him, you may have a good shot at him. I would not try to set a stand on a big buck until the day I was going to hunt him. Maybe you could get away with it in the rain where the scent washed out but don't try setting a stand a few days before you want to shoot him, he will disappear. Hope you do find some bigger ones and have a good hero shot and story for us in October.

Latest posts

Top Bottom