Ban on guns in post offices is unconstitutional, US judge rules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waltercat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If one farts on postal property you can get 30 days in jail. Not a joke.
'unusual noise' can be prosecuted by a Fed or State judge like the one in NYC after Trump.
I believe even an expired DL while on Postal property is the same. Crazy.

39 CFR § 232.1 - Conduct on postal property.​

sushi & pistols

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just a comment.

I'm old enough to have been working down the road when on August 20, 1986, Patrick Sherrill walked into the Post Office in Edmond on North Broadway and killed 14 and injured 6 others before killing himself.

Patrick Sherrill was employed there at the Post Office.

No joke, but this is where the expression "going postal" originated.

My wife and I both worked a few miles away and being newly married this just scared the ******* out of both of us.

If you are curious, google it. Edmond OK post office massacre Patrick Sherrill.
I would have to wonder if it might have been different if someone with a gun had been in there might have put ole boy down before ole Patrick was able to finish his massacre?

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The ban on firearms in federal installations (in general) dates back to 1968, and the specific ban on firearms specifically on post office property dates to 1972. That fails (by a couple of centuries!) to meet the US Supreme Court's 'Bruen' standard of historic precedent, which is why the federal judge just made that lucid ruling.

Last edited:

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked USPS contracts for building environmental inspections and contractor oversite for 2yrs.I have been in every square inch of a bunch of post office buildings and dealt with Postal Inspectors, post masters and mgmt all picked from the paranoid looney toons government employee tree.
Postal Inspectors are some creepers and voyeurs
Paranoia is one constant amongst upper level personnel.
Big old school post office buildings are the most secure and heavy duty stronghold real estate in most cities. They are built hell for stout.
Muscatine Iowa has one of the coolest I ever crawled through.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I leave my gun in the truck most of the times I go to a post office. :anyone:
I never remove mine. There are no detectors, nothing to identify electronically if one is armed, and I don't want to be "postaled". I'll take my chances with a jury. I'll be alive to face them hopefully vs the unarmed lying dead around the floor from some Idiot mass shooter that's PO'd his package was delivered late and left in the wrong place.

leemozoid

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind, it's not just the post office buildings. The parking lots are also excluded from possession.
This is my thought on that. Possession is prohibited on "secure" PO property. On my tour the entry gate to the employee parking lot is in the "up" position meaning you don't have to swipe your badge to gain access. This means that for every day except Sunday these lots are not "secure" PO property.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The post office I go to a lot on Hefner Rd between May and Penn has a sign on front door saying no "concealed" weapons. Have thought many times about just pulling my shirt up to show my weapon to see if I get a reaction. They also have "detectors" before you go into main area of PO. Don't know if they are even hooked up. The one in Piedmont doesn't have anything and I carry there all the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom