Baofeng UV-5R, Ham Radio, What can I listen in on in OKC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p238shooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Which is first, technician or general?
The sequence is Technician, General, and then Extra. His would have to be Tech which you have to wait till your call sign is posted by the FCC to transmit.. When you upgrade to General or Extra it is immediate and you just use your original call with a /G or /E till it is posted, then you drop that. You can request a call sign change if you desire,

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just passed my “Technician” exam in Edmond Saturday morning. I’ve been talking about it forever.

Now I’m impatiently waiting for the FCC to send me the confirmation link. I really hope I have my call sign within the next week.
Congratulations! I did mine on a Saturday too, and got my call sign the following Monday two days later. It will come soon.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ham radio operator here for over 35 years. If you download a free app for your phone named "repeater books" it will give you the local to you ham radio repeaters in your area to listen to. You just need to program in the frequency listed for 2M and 70CM. For now there is no need to put in the offset or PL tone in case you have an accidental transmission which you want to avoid if you do not have a license. We take our hobby seriously, but welcome any newcomers who want to join us. Most ham clubs have a web site you can find that will have weekly nets and usually a monthly meeting listed that you would be welcome to visit.

For studying and learning more about ham radio which is a great family hobby, there are lots of sites. ARRL is our "NRA" or "OK2A" that keeps our frequencies free and coordinated and a good place to start. There are so many directions you can go with ham radio it can get overloading with the digital modes and a lot of specialty modes and upgrading to talk around the world. I suggest you just start with the Technician license and VHF and UHF analog to start out with and go from there.

I would start out by reading the Part 97 Rules, then use a program like https://hamstudy.org for flash cards of the over 300 question pool that you will be given 35 questions out of that you have to make a 70% on to pass. Your local ham clubs can help you find a testing session when you feel like you are ready.. About an hour a day 2-3 weeks is about normal for studying depending on your background. Most of it is common sense stuff, rules to follow,a few frequency ranges to memorize, etc.

Like getting a CC license, then you have a Technician license to really learn the hobby.

Anyone is welcome to PM me if you have Ham Radio questions.
Serious question-
Do you actually have to have a license?
I know of/ or a lot of ppl that use them. They do not have their licenses. They all say the same thing. The FCC won’t prosecute you they have not prosecuted anyone in over 10years. They have also said the older guys will get on there and report or telling on Them but nothing ever comes of it. It’s mainly a complaint hotline.
Example A lot of the oilfield guys use them. No licenses.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Serious question-
Do you actually have to have a license?
I know of/ or a lot of ppl that use them. They do not have their licenses. They all say the same thing. The FCC won’t prosecute you they have not prosecuted anyone in over 10years. They have also said the older guys will get on there and report or telling on Them but nothing ever comes of it. It’s mainly a complaint hotline.
Example A lot of the oilfield guys use them. No licenses.
FRS does not require a ham license.
There is a power compliance issue with using the baofengs on those frequencies with out a license but as you say , it is not enforced.