Barnes TSX bullets

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tslabaugh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Those who frequent the hunting & fishing board probably saw my .223 deer/hog hunting thread. I had bought some 55gr Barnes TSX bullets to load for hogs and deer.
Have any of you shot an animal with these? After sighting them in, I went and dug them and a few other bullets out of the dirt.

I was less than excited about the results of the barnes bullets. I understand they are made to peel back but not fragment. I realize this is less than scientific testing but here are my results.

.300 Winchester Magnum 180gr Nosler Ballistic tip Hunting. Impacting dirt at about 120 yards.

Core separated from jacket similar to a .223 vmax but in much larger fashion so the jacket peeled back instead of separating

i39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_B0857B45_E971_4C74_8bba62a945b0093d7725d216e27ce2cbe.jpg

Now for the disappointing part. .223 55gr Barnes TSX. Far left TSX was shot into a 2 inch thick hardback book next to a dirt embankment at 20 yards(again not real scientific, but other bullets tend to give an idea this way). The other 3 were dug out of the same hill the 180gr Nosler was shot into.

i39.photobucket.com_albums_e186_tslabaugh_D8C44377_C475_4ABC_A796eb6d1176e60da2979162f43a053b7.jpg

So do these TSX bullets take more to expand then a thick jacketed ballistic tip hunting bullet? I also shot 165gr accubonds into the same embankment from 100 yards and they perform like the ballistic tips but are bonded so the core doesn't seperate. I realize bullet weighs contribute to expansion results but 55gr vmax has no problems expanding in same situation.

My only thought with shooting the TSX's is they take more to expand then soft dirt, but when shot through the book it expanded and then was traveling fast enough the expanded portions broke off with it being solid copper.

Before using them on anything other than behind the ear shots on hogs, I will line up some phone books. Until then, I figured it'd make for good discussion.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
More than likely, the dirt wasn't a good test medium.

I load the TSX's in .244 and .277 and they work as advertised.

Most of the time I don't recover them, they shoot thru n thru with lots of mess in between.

A properly placed TSX running at normal .223 speeds should be death to whatever you hit.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wonder if the expansion or lack there of on the TSXs is cause the sudden stop of the dirt. The bullet might need a slower deceleration like through a chest cavity or ballistics gel to get some expansion.
OR I could just be talking out my arse....

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also heard of hollow-points becoming clogged up with dirt and/or other material which prevents expansion and makes them perform like a solid.

Hasn't ever happened to me, so like AllOut, I might be talking out my arse too...

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More than likely, shooting through the book clogged the HP, and it no longer had the dynamics to expand.
This is one of the reasons the defense rounds you buy now have a HP with a plastic insert to assist the expansion after penetrating layers of denim.
I shoot the barnes TTSX in 168 grain for deer and elk. All have been complete pass throughs.

I have recovered a couple of the Barnes HP MZ bullets from deer, and they have been fully expanded.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Used the 150gr out of my .30-378 at 3625fps. One buck broadside at 75y, it blew thru, exit hole same size entry, he ran 50y and fell. Shot a doe facing me at 110y went in the front, came out her right rear butt cheek and she did a back flip upon impact. Exit hole about 4" across. Went to 180gr Accubonds eventually.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't seem to get any pics uploaded but I shoot Barnes tsx ttsx and mrx bullets exclusively at game all with excellent results. I have only recovered one and it traveled from two ribs back on a quartering elk and logged in front of the shoulder at 387 yds and it preformed flawlessly. .308 180 gn from my .300 win mag and after recovery and cleaning still weighed 179.8 gn. They work as good on white tails and speed goats from my 7stw I'd chronograph the load and check mv. Although the ballisticians at Barnes tell me they are reliable at all velocities. I myself won't shoot at anything bigger than a coyote without a Barnes. I'll post some pics later from pc of recoverd bullet and the results of a couple of head shots on does with the same .224 bullet from my swift.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 9 year old son got his first deer today (spike buck). I didn't think he was ready to shoot his .243 yet, so I loaded up some 65gr. Sierra Gamekings for my .223 Tikka Scout rifle. He shot it very well previously and made a good lung shot on the buck and it just dropped. There was a bigger buck in the same group (4x3), so I grabbed the rifle from him before the buck took off and shot it. The buck ran less than 50 yards. I would have never of thought of shooting a deer w/ a .223 before; but I found out in less than a minute, that it can take deer suprisingly well. I didn't even get to shoot my LSR Rem 7RM w/ berger 168gr. VLD's on a deer yet,....next time on a doe.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 9 year old son got his first deer today (spike buck). I didn't think he was ready to shoot his .243 yet, so I loaded up some 65gr. Sierra Gamekings for my .223 Tikka Scout rifle. He shot it very well previously and made a good lung shot on the buck and it just dropped. There was a bigger buck in the same group (4x3), so I grabbed the rifle from him before the buck took off and shot it. The buck ran less than 50 yards. I would have never of thought of shooting a deer w/ a .223 before; but I found out in less than a minute, that it can take deer suprisingly well. I didn't even get to shoot my LSR Rem 7RM w/ berger 168gr. VLD's on a deer yet,....next time on a doe.

Congrats on the Father Son double!!!

Those 65gn SGK's are good bullets.

Latest posts

Top Bottom