• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Want To Buy Bee keeping basics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKBPS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I actually got a couple long hives for free. So I’m not starting out with a traditional hive. @OKBPS is helping out a bunch. He took one of them and captured a swarm. We just traded hives at that point. Big thanks to him and his wife for their knowledge.
Happy to help. We enjoy helping others get into the beekeeping world.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I was seriously looking into beekeeping a few years ago, even took a online course at Penn State, then I realized that hot Oklahoma summers and my fatass in a bee suit would most likely be the death of me so that was the end of that hobby.

Good luck with your endeavors!

OKBPS

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I was seriously looking into beekeeping a few years ago, even took a online course at Penn State, then I realized that hot Oklahoma summers and my fatass in a bee suit would most likely be the death of me so that was the end of that hobby.

O4L, yes it does get hot here. We started doing the inspections a little earlier in the day, bought a canopy to set up and I also wear an ice vest. I use the vest when I mow the lawn too. Worth the money IMO.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0

It’s definitely gonna get hot. Some of the hive checks are going to be miserable. If we can squeeze a few ounces of honey out, it will be worth it, I think.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
190   0   0
Not seeing a queen or eggs. I might need a queen or cell. Going to check again Sunday.
Beekeeping etc does not have any at the moment. I have a message in to BeeOk on FB. Any leads are appreciated

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If it was a swarm, it could have been a secondary swarm with a virgin queen. She would of had to go on her mating flight. Might not of made it back / killed or eaten before making it back. You could purchase a mated queen or try to find someone with a frame of eggs to donate.
Or purchase a nuc and newspaper combine. Several options.

Latest posts

Top Bottom