• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to OKShooters Association and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member

Draw knife/ spoke shave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SparkyGator

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I’m looking to make my own Long Bow. I’m going the the 2024 OJAM selfbow jamboree and want some of my own tools. If anyone has either, let me know and maybe we can make a deal. Thanks fellas
IMG_5163.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
If you find a used one needing handles, let me know. I built a set for Tommy Leach, one of the OJAM founders. He was getting arthritic in his hands, making it hard to hang on to. I turned a couple of handles shaped similar to an egg. He said it was the ticket. He had a couple other boyers see them and make their own in that shape.
I wouldn't charge anything. Fun project.

Beautiful Mulberry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I’m looking to make my own Long Bow. I’m going the the 2024 OJAM selfbow jamboree and want some of my own tools. If anyone has either, let me know and maybe we can make a deal. Thanks fellasView attachment 458157
I would find an old one. The ones from TS do not hold an edge. I use them all the time. Iv been known to make some pretty good bows. I use bois de ark. Make my own arrows, quivers. I can even show you how to find or grow certain plants to make your bow string unless you want it out of squirrel or rabbit skin then we can do that as well. If you need a stave let me know. I have a whole barn full! Anywhere from 3-10 years cure time.

IMG_0339.jpeg
IMG_0340.jpeg

AKmoose

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I would find an old one. The ones from TS do not hold an edge. I use them all the time. Iv been known to make some pretty good bows. I use bois de ark. Make my own arrows, quivers. I can even show you how to find or grow certain plants to make your bow string unless you want it out of squirrel or rabbit skin then we can do that as well. If you need a stave let me know. I have a whole barn full! Anywhere from 3-10 years cure time.

View attachment 458194View attachment 458195

My uncle did the same, if he didn't make it, he didn't hunt with it. Well except after treed by a grizzly, he cut dow a 45-70 to use after that. He has chapters in The Traditional Boyer's Bible and used to write for Traditional Bowhunter and a few other mags, some of the arrows and arrowheads he would make looked like pieces of art. I think dad would pick up any draw knives he would find at the flea markets and send to him in Alaska.

Latest posts

Top Bottom