Best 223 bolt gun all around ammo 1-12 twist. No reloads. I don't do that

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
OP, your thinking is not exactly correct. It depends on bullet manufacturer and shape of bullet. Don't believe the "catch-all" twist rates shown in your replies. Check the bullet manufacturer and their twist rate recommendations.

LOL, someone better tell Berger bullets their 64gr FB varmint bullet is going to keyhole at 25 meters with a 1:12 twist.
Exactly. Gyroscopic stability depends on rotational velocity, so a longer barrel generating higher velocity may stabilize a bullet that a shorter barrel won't even with the same twist. The shape (length) of the bullet also impacts the required rotational velocity for stabilization.
Yeah that's true, but still requires a longer barrel, 24 to 26" I was thinking the Rem 700 in 223 came with a 20" barrel. A 20" wont stabilize much more than 55grain

The op asked about practice and target ammo, which Id still go with 55 grain and lower

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah that's true, but still requires a longer barrel, 24 to 26" I was thinking the Rem 700 in 223 came with a 20" barrel. A 20" wont stabilize much more than 55grain

The op asked about practice and target ammo, which Id still go with 55 grain and lower
The varmint barrel my

Latest posts

Top Bottom