Best books on survival

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanjuro82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you talking "survival" or "self-sufficiency"??

The differences in men's and women's libraries when it comes to survival reading is astounding ...

I have read a few of the books Sanjuro listed and skimmed the Manual Cinaet listed (hey ... I had to start with GC's library!! LOL) but have added several books to the list now that I have figured out that GC thought we were gonna camp by the lake and eat MREs if the SHTF ... yeah, right ...

acope

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I liked Mikel Hawkes' Green Beret Survival Manual. I know that everyone will not agree with everything in this book, but it is one of the few I have read that actually talks about not wasting supplies on someone that is injured and not likely to make it to pickup.

I also recommend Deep Survival: Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why by Laurence Gonzales. His writing style is kind of prosy, but it is interesting. Not a survival manual per se, but the ideas about the mindset of those who survive are useful.

Allen

Travis73

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some manuals for reference, but reading throught them and getting the info to stick is difficult. I much more enjoy, and retain ideas from, well written stories. Both non-fiction and fiction.

onearmedman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.oism.org/nwss/
awww.oism.org_nwss_NWSS.jpg

Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen <emphasis on primitive skills>
aecx.images_amazon.com_images_I_51JaiymSeHL._BO2_204_203_200_Pf845e9cedf25401e44a2127bd43cdce3.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom