Best place to buy a suit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What size? My dad had purchased several very nice suits a few weeks before he died, they still have the tags on them. The pants are unhemmed, so you can make them whatever you need up to about 34-25" inseam. I have one, but it's a touch big on me. We also have a bunch of new sport coats. 44-46 long. Let me know if you are interested.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'll second Burlington. You can get some nice middle-of-the-road suits there for just a couple of hundred bucks.

I'm sure JB will scoff, but most of us aren't high rollers like him. ;)

I don't even wear suits to funerals, so I honestly can't remember the last time I wore one. Maybe when interviewing for residency? Ugh... God, I hate dressing up!

B

Bill Mac

I bought some nice ones at Kohl's. They are generally quite a bit discounted. Though I bought sport jackets, they had pants to match on most if not all. Selection is usually pretty good as well.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not scoffing at anyone. Ha ha. Suits for me (and clothes in general) are important in my business.

I asked about the budget, because rather than buy a very expensive suit from a store, you can usually have them custom make you one for about the same price.

If you have an average build, you can find some fairly nice things at Dillards. Not my particular style, but I have seen nice stuff there. In fact, I have even bought some things for a couple of my young associates. They have some decent brands like Hickey Freeman etc.

Mr. Ooley's is nice and I have bought a lot from them over the years. However, unless you just want to spend the money, or you need to for business, you don't have to go that expensive. But it is the best haberdashery in OKC.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The secret is fit. Fit. FIT. Where you buy is less important than where you take it after you get it.

As far as chains go, J. Crew and Banana Republic are probably the best in the area. Seriously - they are rather good suits. Dillards will have better brand and fit selection though (as the others will be more modern/slim cuts). Then probably Men's Warehouse, then Macy, then Kohls and Penney then Burlington. You can also find awesome deals at thrift stores and consignment shops if you look. Just make sure the shoulders and chest fit is superb, and let a tailor handle the waist and the sleeves., Two button is generally better than three or one. Dark is generally safer than light (try grey or navy).

Last suit I got I needed for the next day (bleh), so it was off the rack separates and Kohl's won out. But honestly I will probably try to get my next suit pre-owned and have it tailored.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What kind of price range are you looking at to have one made? I was thinking if I could stay around $500 or so I could get a nice quality one that will last for a while.

I always wanted to try:

http://www.indochino.com/

Notice that they include a $75 tailoring credit on all suit orders. That is a pretty awesome deal. You could get in a custom suit five bills from there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom