Best rifle for Shorts and Long Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a low numbered Marlin 39 and have pumped hundreds of rounds of shorts thru it during the 1960's w/o any issues. Best dang lever gun on the market followed by a Henry.

Norman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say buy a can! It solves all your issues. Huntertown or Tac 65 are supposed to be decent for the cheap ones, although it's not the route I went.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I definitely can't afford a 39a. I've decided a bolt is what I want so it doesn't diverge too far from my real rifle. I just found out the XT-22s also come in tube mags and they have better triggers.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've not had the opportunity to fire anything with a suppressor but locating a rifle that will run shorts is one thing. Legally obtaining a suppressor is a totally different matter.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super Colibri would be very quiet and probably perform similar to shorts.

Super Colibri is great stuff. I use it in a Winchester Model 06 pump, and it's quieter than most airguns, but still illegal in most towns. I had a big squirrel problem in my previous home--wood shingles, old house. It would do in a squirrel, and did just fine on a stray cat that was acting like it was rabid. (Over the 25 years in that place, I killed two critters in the yard that were indeed rabid . . . didn't have the cat tested.)

The 06 runs shorts just fine, and holds, I think, about 17 of them. About shorts not penetrating barn metal, that must have been some tough sheetiron. CB

Mack45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As was mentioned earlier, cruise the back rows of the gunshops and find an older bolt action. I picked up a Springfield Model 84 c for a hundred bucks. It cycles the shorts just as well as it does the long rifles.
I wanted a mag fed type because I had the barrel threaded. With Remington HV shorts and the suppressor it sounds like a pellet rifle, maybe a bit quieter!

Latest posts

Top Bottom