Best scope for a .22 rimfire rifle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swatie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a .22 rifle, not sure what kind of scope I want to get. Should I get a Leupold? or NIke or is that just a waste of money on a .22? Is it worth the trouble to put a Tasco or BSA on it? What works well for you guys?

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a BSA Special 4x on one and a Bushnell Banner 3-9x on another.
Works for me.
Really liked the Leupold I looked at but couldn't justify putting a 200$ scope on a 300-400$ rifle. Although, there are people that have done so. Almost bought a Meuller, but again the $$$ was too far up there for me.
Check a few out and see what you like. What kind of shooting are you planning to do? What rifle is it?

YakBasser

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just depends on what U wanna spend. BSA makes a .22Special U can get at Academy that Ive used several times. Clear sight Pic, and Never had one lose zero. Theyre about $30 and Plenty Good enuf for plinking or TreeRats.

swatie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. I have a 30/30, too, is a 3-9 x40 good enough for a 3030? or should I get a different size for that? Plan to eventually hunt dear with it.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
3-9x40 is plenty for many rifles.
I hunted many years with a fixed 4power scope on my 30-30 a redfield widefield took many deer with it
one past 300 yards and one nice buck at 217 large paces...
The highest i have had to crank up my scope while hunting deer on my 30-06 was 10 power 300+ yards shooting through a 1foot square patch of brush to hit the deer in the neck.

With that said the scope of choice for me is the centerpoint 4-16x40 with AO and focus..
At 70 bucks or so it is a good deal...holds zero on both my 308 and 30-06 and has for a few years.
These will handle recoil from bb/ pellet rifles also..as that is what i think they were first intended for.
Recoil has been tested on larger guns...
What i really like is the AO and the fact that the glass is very clear and mildot.

Sold my buckmaster because this was just as clear and has finer crosshairs for tighter groups ..

Would be right at home on a .22 or a 30-30..kind of big to be installing on a 30-30 might look funny

Tumbleweed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It depends on your use for it. I don't usually use more than a fixed 4x power on my 22s. I just got a 10/22 take down today and went with a red dot due to the compact size of the optic and back pack able set up. My regular squirrel/rabbit 22s have light low power scopes or iron sights.

Latest posts

Top Bottom