best way to clean a rifle covered in rust??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieDokie1982

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad gave me a Stevens 410 bolt action and this thing is covered in rust. It has no serial number so I know it's old. any suggestions on how to clean this thing up without taking a wire brush to it?
any help would be great.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
are you talking huge chunks of flaking rust or finish turned brown from age (patina)?

if huge chunks of rough rust try marvel mystery oil or some other penetrating oil put on thick and allowed to soak for a few days then a "fine" wire brush or a piece of tshirt used shoe-shine style.

for patina guns just oil them and leave'em alone.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can use naval jelly to take the rust off. Just do it slowly and gently. It is essentially phosphoric acid with some other chemicals. It works good for removing rust, but it will removing paint and platings too, also probably blue.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81756-Naval-Jelly-Dissolver/dp/B0007TQW5G

You can get it at O'reilly's too.

Edit: I was just thinking about it. I'd probably only use that stuff if you are planning to strip the whole thing down. Otherwise you'll probably want to stick with an oil and buffing type method..

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Might contact Don Franson username Honeybee on here. Pretty sure he reconditions rifles professionally. It may be worth it to see what he'd charge you. And you could rest easy knowing a professional was handling it. I'd be concerned about a family heirloom.

OkieDokie1982

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I'll keep the patina on there for now. I can't seem to find any info on how old it is or how to dissasemble the bolt assembly (it has some play in it that I don't like, plus I always like to completely strip down any new/old firearm before I fire it.) any Info would be a great help

gaseous maximus

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have had a lot of success on older guns, which are not really worth a complete polish and reblue, and no worse than lightly rusted, with the following.1. Get some cold blue and really fine steel wool. 2. Pour some of the blue in a small plastic or glass container. 3. Dip a piece of steel wool in the blue and rub the heck out of the gun, the blue will turn really nasty as it removes the rust. 4. when it feels and appears that the surface has been pretty well cleaned, put it a side and let it dry. 5. using a clean dry piece of steel wool, card off the rust that has formed, and with a small piece of cloth, or cotton ball, lightly reapply the bluing solution, and let dry. 6. repeat step 5, until you are satisfied with the appearance. 7. neutralize with water, dry, and oil.

twotonevert

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have had a lot of success on older guns, which are not really worth a complete polish and reblue, and no worse than lightly rusted, with the following.1. Get some cold blue and really fine steel wool. 2. Pour some of the blue in a small plastic or glass container. 3. Dip a piece of steel wool in the blue and rub the heck out of the gun, the blue will turn really nasty as it removes the rust. 4. when it feels and appears that the surface has been pretty well cleaned, put it a side and let it dry. 5. using a clean dry piece of steel wool, card off the rust that has formed, and with a small piece of cloth, or cotton ball, lightly reapply the bluing solution, and let dry. 6. repeat step 5, until you are satisfied with the appearance. 7. neutralize with water, dry, and oil.

Where can I find cold blue? I have a 44mag lever gun I would like to try this on.