Bipod on wood stock/shooting sticks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a wood-stocked Rem700 without a bedded front swivel stud. The stud is in just wood, no metal/nut bedding. Is it going to be OK to put a stud-type bipod on. The rifle is a 270 so recoil isn't huge.

Or should I just go with shooting sticks? :anyone:

I don't want to damage my wood stock with a bipod.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm worried about shear along the grain due to repeated recoil. A sling just tries to pull out the stud, where I would think (but I don't know this) that a bipod would exert a force along the length of the grain of the stock, possibly splitting it over time?

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should not be a problem unless the stock itself were defective to start with. If you load the bipod properly it should
not have that much force exerted on it during the recoil impulse. Should be less stress on the stock than using a sling for support
I would think.

BadKarma

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loading the bipod is putting a slight amount of forward pressure on the bipod when you line up behind the rifle.
It helps prevent the rifle from jumping due to recoil, helps maintain your sights on target for the next shot. I don't
know that there would be anything to avoid, I would just shoot it and not worry about it.

3inSlugger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks BadKarma!
Now, what brand of bipod would you recommend for general purpose. One that I can shoot prone and sitting/bench and field (if there exists such a bipod). And what brand? Harris, Campbell....so on

Latest posts

Top Bottom