Savage 110 stock damage and rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have some Kroil I could use. I wiped it down with Clenzoil and boy it was dirty. Atleast the inside of the barrel is great but this thing was knocked around a bunch.
Kroil or any oil for that matter with the steel wool will work.
If there is a dent in the wood stock and the grain isn’t broken, you can take a wet towel and a hot iron to “steam” out the dent.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it’s surface rust, 0000 steel wool with gun oil will remove the rust and preserve the bluing.

Exactly. That rust doesn't appear to be bad at all. Strip the stock and refinish. No need to invest more money than necessary into it. Those older Savage rifles are some of the best out there.

Not my caliber but that was a heckuva find. Good score!

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think I seen Mark Novak do that on you tube. Will it return the outside if the barrel smooth to touch? Or will it still be rough?

It won't fix pitting. And as they say "your mileage may vary". It shouldn't affect the existing finish. For the areas with rust it may have to be buffed afterwards.

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you can, remove any plastic parts and simply boil the barrel and action in plain water for about 45 minutes. Once it cools, simply buff (don't scrub over aggressively) with some plain 0000 steel wool. Repeat as required. May take just 1 or possibly several cycles depending on the severity of the rust.

The boiling converts red oxide (rust) to black oxide (bluing). Once done, you will need to reapply oil to it all and let it soak for a few minutes before wiping off the excess. The boiling will remove most of the oil from the metal.

A piece of gutter capped at both ends and a propane turkey fryer make a good impromptu boiling trough.
Agreed. We have done this on several different occasions and it works great. The first time that we tried it, we were boiling the receiver on a 1916 Spanish Mauser receiver.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Use this process on the stock.

guy using a electric sander don't know what he is doing JMO. i finish all mine with Spar varnish like old wood water ski's. have done a ton of them since ive been young! chemical strip wood is completely bare if done right. dampen stock a couple times to raise the grain sanding between each.. stain or not let dry a couple days. then Spar Varnish 4-7 coats. water proof as a ducks Butt! hey to each his own!! ive used my method many many years!

Latest posts

Top Bottom