Savage 110 stock damage and rust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilcountry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
guy using a electric sander don't know what he is doing JMO. i finish all mine with Spar varnish like old wood water ski's. have done a ton of them since ive been young! chemical strip wood is completely bare if done right. dampen stock a couple times to raise the grain sanding between each.. stain or not let dry a couple days. then Spar Varnish 4-7 coats. water proof as a ducks Butt! hey to each his own!! ive used my method many many years!
Yeah. I didn’t use the electric sander but I was very happy with my results.

Attachments

• IMG_9333.jpeg
    IMG_9333.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0160.jpeg
    IMG_0160.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0

Ahall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Pay attention to what you boil the water in and where you get it.
Many sources say soft or distilled water in stainless steel.

Chemical reactions with dissolved minerals, softening agents, water purification agents, and other things including the alloy of the boiling container are all reported to cause issues. Some is probably fiction, and some is probably fact.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve refinished the wood portion of a model 12 Winchester pump shotgun that came out really nice while a member here on OSA did an absolute stellar job on rust bluing the steel.
Sadly, Honeybee passed away.
I’m kind me of inspired now to refinish an old beater .22 rifle or two I’ve inherited that I’d be ashamed to ask $50 for at a gun show, to see how pretty they could be after the re-work.
Thanks for the videos guys!

Fr Mulcahy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Pay attention to what you boil the water in and where you get it.
Many sources say soft or distilled water in stainless steel.

Chemical reactions with dissolved minerals, softening agents, water purification agents, and other things including the alloy of the boiling container are all reported to cause issues. Some is probably fiction, and some is probably fact.
You can get stress chloride cracking in some grades of stainless steel. Carbon Steel should not be a problem.

Rainwater will work well. Nature's water distillery.

Latest posts

Top Bottom