Black Kettle has good deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
so this weekend i was invited to hunt with some friends of mine out at Black Kettle. i haven't hunted public land in quite a few years and really wasnt even planning on shooting a deer, just wanted to go along with my buddies, and because it was going to be one of my good friends first time ever going hunting. well we saw quite a few deer, we were all successful in our hunts, and i shot a pretty decent 8 point. i really didn't realize how big my deer was until i got the head home and compared it to the deer that i already have on the wall. he is wider and taller than the 8 point i have mounted. he weighed in at 160 pounds, neck swollen up, good deer and the biggest deer i have shot to date.

we were all about 500 yards apart saturday evening sitting on hill tops across this field. i was on the far south end of the field, one of my friends was 500 yards north of me, and another was 300-400 yards north of her. well i was watching this bottom that was pretty thick. i kept glassing the area and kept seeing movement but i couldnt see well enough to make out what was down there. finally the buck i shot stepped out in a clearing about 500 yards away. i put my scope on him to see if he was a shooter or not, sure enough he was. i was running low on daylight, so i got up from the hill i was sitting on, creeped down the hill to a bottom where the deer couldnt see me, ran and i mean ran about 150-200 yards back to the top of the hill in front of me to where i could see the buck, the i started low crawling in about another 50 or 75 yards. when i got down to that point, my friend sitting due north of me shot a doe, and then jumped up and started walking to where her deer was at. when she did this she actually helped me get a shot at the buck. he started running back to the south and out of the woods. he was really hooking it gettin out of there so i gave a couple of loud yells and he stopped broad side giving me a perfect shot from about 150-175 yards. he took 5 hard steps after i shot him then he reared up like a horse and fell over backwards, i mean he stood straight up on his hind legs and fell on his back, looking straight up in the air. my adrenaline was rushing and i could hardly breathe when i saw him fall. i was pumped. here are some pics of the deer that the three of us shot this weekend.

top view of my buck
ai121.photobucket.com_albums_o228_owu1bag5_2009riflebuck1.jpg

from the back of my buck
ai121.photobucket.com_albums_o228_owu1bag5_2009riflebuck2.jpg

the three amigos' deer
the one of the far right is my buddy Mat's first deer. 95 pound 6 point, the one on the left is my friend Cassie's doe that she shot and pushed the buck to me, and mine in the middle.
ai121.photobucket.com_albums_o228_owu1bag5_deer2009blackkettle.jpg

my friend cassie, she is a real deer hunter, she is into this stuff as much as i am, carrying her deer. she was cracking me up.
ai121.photobucket.com_albums_o228_owu1bag5_Cassieandherdoe2009.jpg

now i am heading back out in the woods this afternoon and the rest of the week with the stick and string for some more time in the woods. I LIVE FOR THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!!

goldflinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heu OWU1bag5, tell me more about black kettle. I have heard some good things about it. I was thinking of trying some early season bow hunting there. How big is the place. Did you camp? do they have public camping areas. What coutny were you in. I know they have soem info in the regs., but did you just head west on I-40 and then a bit North. Is the area marked good? Lots of places to hunt deer with bow on the ground? Thought about taking a trip out there in early October next year.

GUN DOG

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nice trio, My son & I hunted up there for youth season no luck but saw deer & were busted by some coming in be hind us. Looks like you camped on spring creek maybe. What unit were you on we saw deer in 8,17 & 94 the weekend we were up there in Oct. Hopefully we can make it back before season ends. How crowded was it I here it can be very busy in gun season, never have been there then.

Latest posts

Top Bottom