Block Ice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No, the size they sell (atleast where i used to get it in Antlers)fits perfect in the bottom of the chest. I get 5 and line them side by side. Put pop/beer, etc on top, then cover with bag ice.

Hmmmm ... we do that with the cold packs that come with GC's meds. Line the bottom and sides of the ice chest and then dump ice on top. When we get back home I just pop them back in the freezer for next time.

Lizard

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I buy dry ice, wrap it in newspaper and then put my normal ice on top. The cold lasts a long time that way. Dry ice is available at various grocery stores and I wind up with less water sloshing around, as well as cold that lasts longer.

Be careful though, my boys & me did that a few years back to cool a watermelon. The melon got cold enough, but when we ate it, it tasted strange. We finally figured out that when the dry ice melted (or, evanesced), the carbonation had entered the melon and we wound up with a carbonated watermelon.

WTJ

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I froze some stuff in my cooler the other day with dry ice. Be careful, it may damage your cooler by freezing the plastic. 7 11 used to keep block ice at some stores.

Latest posts

Top Bottom