blood trailing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickmenefee

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I shot a real nice 10 point 40 class deer first part of oct. looked high toward the back of the rib cage. Pass thru shot rage broadhead. Poor blood for about 50 yards with clear liquid on the arrow. Looked for the deer for 3 days gave up andd was sick about it. My brother called me 2 weeks later and said he was looking at him with a spotting scope. Totaly healed up looked like your shaved around the hole on both sides. I have saw him several times on trail-cams. If a animal can lick its wound a lot of time he can heal up. I have had this happen twice in 20 years.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
well no pics of the buck. but i couldn't find him either.so he had to of gone down in the canyons that is almost impassable.i will try to go off in there and do some serching next week. i didn't want to travel into that without a riffle in hand. there is some great hunting in those canyons just have to quarter them up to get them out so back pack is required and my little hand saw.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It is legal to BLOOD track wounded deer with a dog! We do it all the time with permission from the Game Wardens. We have even tracked one with and for a Game Warden in one of the north central County's years ago.

you are not allowed to have any weapons with you and you need permission to be on all the land the trail crosses.

What you can't do is use a dog to locate any large animals prior to hunting them.

Most tracking happens at night...So, I do reccomend calling your local GW prior to using a dog and lights in the field. You are sure to get a visit from him if you don't!

PJ

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Being that you are not actually "taking" that animal with the dog since it has already been shot, how does that play into the regs? Seems a bit gray to me. I was talking to a man down on Three Rivers a few years back that I drove up on and he had a load of beagles in the back. Of course I knew what he was doing, and pretty sure the GW that drove up did too. All the GW said was he didn't want to see those dogs on the ground without a leash on... meaning they couldn't run free to track a deer. Just beacuse that's what the GW said, doesn't make it a law in all areas, but that just seems to be a little gray in the regs.

rhenry2424

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like to use hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. It foams up nice when it hits blood.

I am going to have to tell my husband about this, (although it is common sense). He is color blind, so has a really hard time seeing blood trails. We also have lots of bottles of hydrogen peroxide left over after the dogs thought a skunk was a toy.

Red Earth

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually I have tracked deer for several GW's. They have also had people call us to track as well. If you are not an A$$ to them I can't see them having a problem with it. When it comes down to it....It's called CONSERVATION.

But I do agree.... I would call first.... I think their cheapest summons is 350.00! A call is a bit cheaper!!

PJ

Latest posts

Top Bottom