Bobcat down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I kinda figured with the low temps today would be a good day for calling.It turned out to be pretty good. I hunted pretty much all day as I usually do when we get some really frigid weather. Started out about 8:00 am on my first stand that was a blank.Stand #2 I had a bobcat backdoor me and came out to my right at about 12 feet.He picked me off, let out a nasty growl and was gone as fast as it showed up. On the 5th stand, at the 4 minute mark I had a bobcat come smoking into 25 yards and stopped. I waited until she looked away as they usually do and dropped her with the Benelli. At the sound of the shot I looked at my watch and it was strait up noon.
Later in the afternoon I set up in some super tight cover.I always try to hunt the tightest cover I can find for bobcats. I had another female come in at the 10 minute mark and shot her at about 15 yards.
Not a bad day of calling in Oklahoma, especially since this all took place on PUBLIC LAND!
Scott
ai160.photobucket.com_albums_t185_okhunter_album_miscpics003_1.jpg

oldnslow1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good job! I'm going to try tomorrow at my son-in laws place at Peggs. I have never hunted for bobcat so it will be a new experience for me. I have a woodpecker decoy and a mouth call but I don't really know how to use it. Do you use and electronic caller? There are so many varieties and is looks like the good ones are really expensive. Can a hunter really be effective with a mouth call? Good luck for the rest of the season.

oldnslow1

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i quess when they see that OU shirt they figure you'll choke at the critical moment and they'll be alright ,so they come on in:laugh6:

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i quess when they see that OU shirt they figure you'll choke at the critical moment and they'll be alright ,so they come on in:laugh6:

Great job Scott and Saddlebum beat me to it. I wasn't going to say anything about choking but you sure need an orange top....LOL. Glad it was a good day for you and I'm looking forward to more hero pics.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good job! I'm going to try tomorrow at my son-in laws place at Peggs. I have never hunted for bobcat so it will be a new experience for me. I have a woodpecker decoy and a mouth call but I don't really know how to use it. Do you use and electronic caller? There are so many varieties and is looks like the good ones are really expensive. Can a hunter really be effective with a mouth call? Good luck for the rest of the season.

oldnslow1

You will sure call in critters with a mouth call. The only advantage to an electronic is more variety of sounds at your fingertips and it gets the call away from you where the animals are not looking right at you when coming in. A cheap electronic call can be really helpful. I had an old foxpro without remote for years and I would set it up to play very quietly and wait a few minutes and then do a couple loud sets on a mouth call and then quit with the mouth. That would get the far ones interested and they would come in and then hone in on the elec. call sitting 50 yrds away from me. Last year after Christmas, Walmart had the Johnny Stewart calls on clearance for $100. They work great. Check ebay for an old foxpro. Good luck.

okhunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

That is funny! I had a camo jacket on so they were none the wiser.
oldnslow, I grew up south of Peggs and know lots of people there, so who is your son-in-law? On the bobcats try to focus more on where you setup rather than what sound you are making.

Scott

Latest posts

Top Bottom