Both ends of the spectrum

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are some great museums and cultural opportunities there. I'm firmly of the opinion that everybody ought to spend two, maybe three weeks in DC. Go to the Smithsonian, the monuments, see the Capitol and White House...then turn in any direction and run, don't walk, away.

I'm with Dave on this one. I'm a museum nerd and could probably spend a week at just the Smithsonian. Plus, I hear there's an amazing aviation museum across the river in VA. Needless to say, I drive my kids NUTS on vacations where there are cool history sites and/or museums. After three or four hours at the same place, they get antsy. Ridiculous.

I don't know, I like technology, and seeing some of the science stuff might be cool, as in the Smithsonian. But honestly, I just can't get into museums all that much. I mean, I just got back from AZ, took The Boy to see the Grand Canyon and visited my grandparents in Mayer, outside of Prescott. We had a free day and the wife and my mother convinced us to go to some museum there in Prescott, and I was honestly pretty bored. I know about the Old West, about early pioneer life and such, but when I'm on vacation, I just don't find museums to be something on which I honestly want to spend what little time I have there. I'd rather be DOING something... you know, boating, fishing, swimming in an ocean, even just lying on a beach and enjoying the sun I find more fun. Hell, I was at this museum where they've taken all the time to restore everything, recreate scenes of old pioneer living - women washing clothes, coyboys and Indians facing off, fire brigades pulling their carts down the street, even some of ancient hunters fighting off wolves - and I just think, "Really? This isn't what I'd spend my free time doing, making museum exhibits." Of course, I'm sure some of them were professionally made, or all of them, so those people got paid, but it just doesn't tickle my fancy as a worthwhile use of half a day of my rare time off.

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks and all, I know that. I just... don't get it.

I don't think you'll ever convince me to go to DC. I realize all the stuff there is important in the history of our country and all, but no way in hail I want to bother with that place. Hope you enjoy your time, though.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I also have been there many times, and always enjoyed it. My favorite time was the dedication of the Vietnam Memorial. I didn't plan it, and we just happened to be at the Lincoln Memorial as everyone began to gather for the ceremony. So much to see in that area.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I got to see Bernie Sanders and today I was on capital hill and saw Trumps motorcade leave the capital after the annual St. Pats event. Saw him wave at our crowd as he went by.
Did you have to duck into a safe space from either?
While it sounds interesting, I would never want to go to D.C. for any reason.
I had to go on business a few times and it wasn't completely awful since I usually had an open weekend or two to enjoy a few of the touristy things. I certainly wouldn't put it at the top of my list for a pleasure trip though.

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you want to get into anything other than the many Smithsonian museums, you must plan ahead. Some tickets (capitol hill etc) can be obtained through your Congressman's office. Others seem to require a tour agency or else standing in line for hours the day before....crazy. It is crowded with people and frustrating not to be able to get into places into which you might reasonably expect to gain entrance. Our experience with the tour tram that makes a circuit of al the sites was negative: it sounds great but once you get off to see something you are not ever going to be able to get back on! Rant off. Lots of great stuff there but it has challenges.

Side note: My oldest daughter was there on a college tour in the Senate office building not too long after 911. There was an unidentified aircraft in restricted airspace. Alarms went off and security started yelling at everyone to get out. Mass panic and exodus - dress shoes off, barefoot running....The potential for interesting events is real.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Smithsonian Museum in my mind was underestimated and what I didn't know was that the Smithsonian was many, many museums on the Mall (I initially thought the Mall was a series of department stores). One can spend an entire day in one of the museums and still not see everything. To an average Oklahoma guy it is something to see!

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had to go on business a few times and it wasn't completely awful since I usually had an open weekend or two to enjoy a few of the touristy things. I certainly wouldn't put it at the top of my list for a pleasure trip though.
My ideal vacations take me away from people, not towards mass quantities of them. Nature has marvels man will never hope to equal.

ronny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I got to see Bernie Sanders and today I was on capital hill and saw Trumps motorcade leave the capital after the annual St. Pats event.
Saw him wave at our crowd as he went by.
Had late lunch at bull feathers and back to hotel to watch some basketball

Does this mean you won't be at the Choctaw gun show tomorrow?

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just got in and dead tired. National and DFW was a pain. New security pat down is a bit much and glad to git off the plane in temps above freezing.
DC is a cool place to be. Some don't care for it but not sure how.
From Fords theater to the Smithsonian(s) it has everything.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a visual.
Bernie then a distance shot of Trump leaving the capital.
Bernie.jpg Cap 2.JPG Cap 1.JPG

Latest posts

Top Bottom