bow question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am shooting a PSE brute that is working great. I believe that it is set around 55# pull and I have thought about bumping it up to 60# which is as high as my bow will go. My concern is how much it may change my aim. Will this change by alot? Is it worth it?

Clean Harry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can crank it up and try it. I don't think it will cahnge very much. Crank it up and shoot it at 20 yards with a good backstop like a dirt bank. If you have paper tuned that bow, crank it up and shoot it through paper again and see if anything has changed.

bobed

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am still new to archery so know I have another question. What is paper tuning? Is it when you shoot at paper on a target and see how the arrow hit and adjust your bow accordingly? Where can i learn more about this?

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.papertuning.com/

I would recommend not being in a hurry to crank up the draw weight. 1) Yes it does change your POI and you may have to change the weight of your tips to get it to tune 2) Becoming proficient with a bow requires lots of practices. Getting worn out after a few shots does you no good at all. 3) Remember its a lot different trying to draw that bow after sitting down in a stand in the freezing weather than it is at the practice range. 4) Keep it light enough to be smooth and fun 55lbs is more than enough to blow through any deer with a good cut on contact head.

Keep shooting and have fun.

AllOut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on above
here is a good test
sit in a chair and pull your legs off the ground and put them straight out in front of u. now draw your bow, you should be able to draw your bow from this position WITH OUT strugling. if u cant then the poundage is to high.
raising your poundage 5 pounds should not change your POI much at 20 yards but it will more the further out u go
the paper tuning is a great start but can give u false readings if your form isnt right, u could also try walk back tuning, bare shaft tuning and before hunting u should broad head tune for sure.

sesh

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.papertuning.com/

I would recommend not being in a hurry to crank up the draw weight. 1) Yes it does change your POI and you may have to change the weight of your tips to get it to tune 2) Becoming proficient with a bow requires lots of practices. Getting worn out after a few shots does you no good at all. 3) Remember its a lot different trying to draw that bow after sitting down in a stand in the freezing weather than it is at the practice range. 4) Keep it light enough to be smooth and fun 55lbs is more than enough to blow through any deer with a good cut on contact head.

Keep shooting and have fun.

Good link, should help out a lot of people. I wasn't sure what paper tuning was either when I started out. I'd heard of it but it took a while to find someone who could explain it off the top of their head. I wish I'd had that link a few years back!

Reaction score
Exactly. The POI change can be dealt with by adjusting sight.

But the more important point is, as mentioned... Is it, or is it not, gonna pass the tipping point to where it's no longer easy to pull and hold, such that it affects your confidence/accuracy?

oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Point of impact can be easily be fixed. If your bow is in tune though changing the weight can throw your tune off. I cranked mine all the way up last year wanting a little more speed. Which I got out of my field tips. I then put broadheads on and couldn't hit a thing. So I paper tune and see that my bow is way out of tune and the first adjustment I need to make is to back the draw weight down a bit.

If your shooting field tips and broadheads consistently do yourself a big favor and let it be.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
IBO standards for modern archery equipment says that for every pound you pull, your arrow needs to weigh 5 grains per pound... So, for example, if you're pulling 60 pounds, your total arrow weight (this is with vanes and broadhead) should be no less than 300 grains.

I pull 70lbs so my arrows weigh 350 grains or more.

So, what I'm saying is, if you're going to increase your draw-weight. Make sure your arrows weigh enough.

Latest posts

Top Bottom